maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   [ANNOUNCE] CSSU-thumb thread - stable Thumb2 on N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84829)

Sandeep 2012-06-11 19:03

Re: [ANNOUNCE] CSSU-thumb thread - stable Thumb2 on N900

Thank you.
I have a question: I had to remove CSSU because i needed the stock camera. The camera-ui2 has given me a little bit of trouble so installing stock camera itself remove the CSSU. As CSSU is needed for this, is it possible to keep the stock camera app along with CSSU.
Much thanks.

sifo 2012-06-11 19:17

im now restoring my backup because CSSU kernel not booting and i dont want the stock one :o thanks for the update much appreciated hope there will be a fix :)

./sifo

ramesh.kumar 2012-06-11 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by sifo (Post 1220649)
im now restoring my backup because CSSU kernel not booting and i dont want the stock one :o thanks for the update much appreciated hope there will be a fix :)

./sifo

Hey Sifo,
How can you restore from backup, when you are not able to boot? Even I dont want to reflash. Is there any way to restore, without having to reflash via flasher?

sifo 2012-06-11 19:25

@ramesh.kumar

backupmenu

vi_ 2012-06-11 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramesh.kumar (Post 1220653)
Hey Sifo,
How can you restore from backup, when you are not able to boot? Even I dont want to reflash. Is there any way to restore, without having to reflash via flasher?

You just installed a whole load of thumb2 binaries with a non-thumb2 compatible kernel. You can either:

1. Attempt to reflash nokia kernel (highly unlikely to work).
2. Wait for the fixed kernel and attempt to manually flash it (if it is even possible).
3. Full reflash of your device.

woody14619 2012-06-11 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by vi_ (Post 1220658)
You just installed a whole load of thumb2 binaries with a non-thumb2 compatible kernel. You can either:

1. Attempt to reflash nokia kernel (highly unlikely to work).
2. Wait for the fixed kernel and attempt to manually flash it (if it is even possible).
3. Full reflash of your device.

Or, if you're handy with repositories and have a Linux system handy, just extract the proper kernel from the package in the new repo and flash it directly. Should work, in theory.

Also, if you used backupmenu, since the kernel didn't change, you could in fact just do a restore. The one thing backupmenu doesn't do is backup/restore the kernel used by the system as part of the backup. But if that hasn't changed, you should be golden in just doing a restore from the image made before you tried the install. (You did do a backup right before that, didn't you? ;) )

ramesh.kumar 2012-06-11 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by woody14619 (Post 1220661)
Or, if you're handy with repositories and have a Linux system handy, just extract the proper kernel from the package in the new repo and flash it directly. Should work, in theory.

Also, if you used backupmenu, since the kernel didn't change, you could in fact just do a restore. The one thing backupmenu doesn't do is backup/restore the kernel used by the system as part of the backup. But if that hasn't changed, you should be golden in just doing a restore from the image made before you tried the install. (You did do a backup right before that, didn't you? ;) )

Wow, how I wish :(. I did take a backup, but unfortunately, I dont have backupmenu installed. I am on Mac. I think, I should be able to flash it from there. Can you point me to the repo location?

woody14619 2012-06-11 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramesh.kumar (Post 1220668)
Wow, how I wish :(. I did take a backup, but unfortunately, I dont have backupmenu installed. I am on Mac. I think, I should be able to flash it from there. Can you point me to the repo location?

Sorry, but if you can't figure out the repo location from the installer link in the first post, odds are you don't know how to find, download, extract, and hand-flash said kernel, and I don't have the time right now to make a 20 step how-to guide.

This is one of those learning moments. Either learn how to do this (Google is your friend), or learn that you shouldn't be using highly experimental software on your device.

freemangordon 2012-06-11 20:55

Dependencies problem fixed, installation should be ok now. Sorry for the troubles :o

EDIT: after installation is complete you may want to do apt-get remove kernel-cssu-bootimg, for some reason it is pulled by HAM as a dependency while not really needed.

thesuperblue 2012-06-11 22:49

Greets, thank You for this one. Would really like to try it out.
I have a question: As I understand, all the applications we have are compiled using ARM. Does that mean they wont work with this update?

TIA