maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Jolla Tablet (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Youyota Tablet Contact (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99214)

mosen 2017-04-01 14:25

Re: [Pre-Announce] Revival of Jolla Tablet

Funny, all i really need to trust Chens explanation is his history and known realname here at tmo and the fact that he would burn his account and credebility if your allegations were true.
It would be really nice if you could formulate your valid question regarding parts and jollas statement a bit less insinuative and not cross the line to personal insult.

Dave999 2017-04-01 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1526254)
Funny, all i really need to trust Chens explanation is his history and known realname here at tmo and the fact that he would burn his account and credebility if your allegations were true.
It would be really nice if you could formulate your valid question regarding parts and jollas statement a bit less insinuative and not cross the line to personal insult.

It's no allogations from my side. Unless you are talking about jolla and the missing refund.

I just find this tablet thread awesome. And very funny. It never ends :D
Just when you thought you would get your tablet. Jolla change their minds. NO tablets for you.
And when jolla, me and most others given up on a tablet for sale. Then some fishy black market jolla tablet appears in China shops.
Jolla could not find, buy or build any more parts.
Then some dude @TMO meet some dude that not only designer of the tablet, he also got all the parts, assembly line and will to build tablets again.

Some things doesn't add up somewhere.

m4r0v3r 2017-04-01 15:13

never got a shot at getting the first tablet, id like this one :)

jukk 2017-04-01 15:19

Another bad thing with the tablet is screen brightness. I really avoid using it in evenings and nights due to the awfully bright screen. It is all nice in daylight, but being unable to dim it to a comfortable level makes usefulness suffer a lot.

Manufacturers are bragging over brightness, but they all forget that you need to be able to dim it, too. It feels like having a car with high beam that can't be turned off.

chenliangchen 2017-04-01 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1526251)
Please scam us via indiegogo again, please. Don't forget all the stretch goals and fake news. :D

Actually this is not a bad idea. Every assemble line has a minimum quantity, normally about 3k to 5k as an absolute minimum. Since I don't have a solid PO or deposit, using pre-order funds to order components and assembling line is the best option.

Instead of setting up a pre-order account from stratch, why not using Indiegogo again? At least it has some security and a credibility in general. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1526251)
Jolla said it was no more parts and no more would be manufactured. Did you find the big bag with all the parts in a shady area of Hong Kong? The word on the street is that Marc dumped the bag in some dark ally when he fled the scene in panic after the scam was revealed...

Actually what Jolla said was true. We need to buy those components and assemble them again. I wish there exists your dark side bags, we could save a lot lot of initial costs!! If you have more info or GPS location data please let me know, you share half of its value, how about that? :)

mosen 2017-04-01 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1526259)

In a small world where everybody knows eachother through 6.6 corners, those things simply happen ;)

chenliangchen 2017-04-01 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1526259)
It's no allogations from my side. Unless you are talking about jolla and the missing refund.

I just find this tablet thread awesome. And very funny. It never ends :D
Just when you thought you would get your tablet. Jolla change their minds. NO tablets for you.
And when jolla, me and most others given up on a tablet for sale. Then some fishy black market jolla tablet appears in China shops.
Jolla could not find, buy or build any more parts.
Then some dude @TMO meet some dude that not only designer of the tablet, he also got all the parts, assembly line and will to build tablets again.

Hey Dave, we are NOT Jolla. :) Yes we pay them licence, they will do the software and SW optimisation, and future updates. But product wise we are not related with them.

And again what Jolla claimed has nothing to do with us, and looks like Jolla told the truth - there is no components left at the time, that's why we checked all the suppliers that we can BUY again.

How do you think we have them already?

Seriously Dave, you should point to Jolla, not us. What they did before has nothing to do with this. We are just trying to fill the demand Jolla failed to deliver, with some improvement as much as we can.

If you think this is a scam - fine. But please at least have some dignity for you and others, if you are angry with Jolla then go for Jolla, nothing to do here. :)

mosen 2017-04-01 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukk (Post 1526262)
Another bad thing with the tablet is screen brightness.

That problem is eased as soon as some hero develops and releases a native "Nightmode app" that overlays the whole screen semi-transparent.
I am using an android app to dim down youtube client, works okish.

chenliangchen 2017-04-01 16:23

2 Attachment(s)
Some quick hint of the next step:

- We will build 50-100 working samples as a testing production and use them for testing hardware, and provide a portion to Jolla for optimising software. (I agree some optimisation needs to be done.)

- We will design a specific BT keyboard case for the tablet. The case will have a similar outfit design as most tablet cases, with magnetic built in. So if you need HW keyboard, a BT keyboard can be attached inside the cover by magnetic and if you don't need, it will act like a latsu case. (See attached pics)

- Next week is the National Holiday in China (Qingming, or Tomb Sweep Festival) So more info will be shared afterwards.

- We will be working with Jolla to improve system reliability. Will share more details in coming days.

chenliangchen 2017-04-01 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1526249)
I will officially add this to my definition of Nerd:

"A Person being struck by 1st of april when announcing unbelievable but legit projects".

I realised it's just a bad time announcing something exciting...... :(

Android_808 2017-04-01 16:39

As a bonus, any work on this by Jolla should therefore benefit existing any existing tablet owners if the components are the same. Any paid work sent Jolla's way to work on this should mean the existing tablets continue to be maintained for a longer period of time.

Dave999 2017-04-01 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1526264)
Actually this is not a bad idea. Every assemble line has a minimum quantity, normally about 3k to 5k as an absolute minimum. Since I don't have a solid PO or deposit, using pre-order funds to order components and assembling line is the best option.

Instead of setting up a pre-order account from stratch, why not using Indiegogo again? At least it has some security and a credibility in general. Thanks for the advice.

No problem. Set it up.
How much do you estimate jolla will be stealing in licenses cost? Anyway to put sailfish on the device without paying jolla? Maybe they could give that to you for trying to do what jolla couldn't manage?

mscion 2017-04-01 16:47

Gee, it's nice to have but a bit dated spec wise. I think I would prefer a Jolla Tablet Kit. One you have to assemble but is a finished product in the end. Has removable battery and can replace parts, perhaps upgrade them. This would be fun!

chenliangchen 2017-04-01 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by uber (Post 1526200)
Will you ship to USA? If so, I'm interested.

Thank you! Yes covering USA is very important. The best of WiFi only tablet is no need to worry on the bands, and can easily cover NA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1526199)
If this is true, I'll purchase one just to show support. I'd love to see USB-C as a connector instead of the micro-USB - it does get a bit wobbly after prolonged use.

Although changing from Micro USB to type C is a minor change on PCB, but this will involve a moulding cost as the hole for the port is changed. And perhaps all the previous tests and certs has to be changed again. But anyway I will look in to this option. What I can guarantee is we look into the wobby connector see if there is any room of improvement.

chenliangchen 2017-04-01 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Android_808 (Post 1526271)
As a bonus, any work on this by Jolla should therefore benefit existing any existing tablet owners if the components are the same. Any paid work sent Jolla's way to work on this should mean the existing tablets continue to be maintained for a longer period of time.

Yes! I don't see anything conflict here. The software work should be compatible with previous models. (Unless component changed, which is not planned.)

pichlo 2017-04-01 18:32

Holly cow, this is the best news of the year so far! (Living in the UK, I need good new like salt, especially this week.)

I did not take part in the first tablet campaign as I had no need for a tablet and considered it an unnecessary distraction from what Jolla should be doing. That situation has not changed and I am not in a position finantially to buy something I do not need but I would like to support your effort. When you set up a crowdfunding page, please add a postcard option. I can invest a couple dozen GBP.

vitaminj 2017-04-01 19:12

I guess the only thing I'm confused about is why didn't Jolla do this themselves rather than issue refunds? I thought that the problem with producing more units was that after their death valley delay certain components weren't available any more and re-tooling everything was going to be too expensive. But now the components all are available again? Any light to shed here? Maybe Jolla just completely ran out of money and goodwill and couldn't pre-pay for more units - and asking backers for a temporary loan would have been a bit too far - Dave999 might have exploded at the sheer scam-tastic-ness of it all.

Also, I second the postcard option above from pichlo - for exactly the same reasons. Though I do like buying hardware I don't need... *strokes chin*

Dave999 2017-04-01 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminj (Post 1526281)
I guess the only thing I'm confused about is why didn't Jolla do this themselves rather than issue refunds? I thought that the problem with producing more units was that after their death valley delay certain components weren't available any more and re-tooling everything was going to be too expensive. But now the components all are available again? Any light to shed here? Maybe Jolla just completely ran out of money and goodwill and couldn't pre-pay for more units - and asking backers for a temporary loan would have been a bit too far - Dave999 might have exploded at the sheer scam-tastic-ness of it all.

Also, I second the postcard option above from pichlo - for exactly the same reasons. Though I do like buying hardware I don't need... *strokes chin*

I dont explode over trivial things like a tiny compony like jolla, a tablet scam or a few hundred bucks. I make fun of it. :D

But I posted pretty much the same before. An apperently jolla could have Done it. But if this is true. They choose not to do it.

mosen 2017-04-01 19:58

Quote:

I guess the only thing I'm confused about is why didn't Jolla do this themselves rather than issue refunds?

Rumor and my personal conspiracy theory is that the single investor that pulled out right before paying the tablet production was really unhappy with the whole "Jolla doing HW" situation and put the pistol to theyr chest to force the reorintation into SW company.
A kind of "You stop that deficitiv and amateurish HW business NOW, i continue to support you" deal.

Recent news in this thread kind of confirms this imho.
They would have been able to order or produce more, so what held them back? Politics.

Robissimo 2017-04-01 20:02

Quote:

I guess the only thing I'm confused about is why didn't Jolla do this themselves rather than issue refunds?

Perhaps they didn't want to. Considering the humiliation they suffered, the fact that the tablet was no longer competitive spec-wise, and that they decided they were a software platform company, what would have been the point, except to shut up dave666

I don't want to say this was a stupid question but I am thinking it.

lancewex 2017-04-01 20:52

I am ALL about tech gadgets I don't need. Especially a 128 gb tablet. But on this day I still can't believe this is real. If ever a link to buy I will.

mosen 2017-04-01 20:55

Quote:

Talking of extra money.
Please do a perk for the single battery!!
Many people will be owning two tablets and selling "backup" batterys right from the start would be the most awesome thing that i could imagine.
I already disassambled my jtab once and found changing the battery potentially quite simple.

reakoLi 2017-04-01 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koiruus (Post 1526207)
Youyota, that's awesome :D ...!

Perfectly match YouYota-App :D
softportal com/ software-40507-youyota.html

Jedibeeftrix 2017-04-02 10:37

April Fools...?

If you make it, I will buy it.
USB Type C is the only change I would like.

Dave999 2017-04-02 10:51

Have you consider naming it jPad?

jukk 2017-04-02 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1526268)
That problem is eased as soon as some hero develops and releases a native "Nightmode app" that overlays the whole screen semi-transparent.

The car analogy is to paint the headlights with some dark color then, or adding some kind of mechanically maneuvered screen in front of them.

I've actually thought of trying some tinted car sun film on the tablet.

elros34 2017-04-02 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1526268)

Such an application already exists.
I don't know how it looks on tablet but on moto minimal als sensor value is 2 however mce default configuration expect 0 from als for 1% lcd brightness in auto brightness mode (Profile0).

chenliangchen 2017-04-02 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by reakoLi (Post 1526295)
Perfectly match YouYota-App :D
softportal com/ software-40507-youyota.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koiruus (Post 1526207)
Youyota, that's awesome :D To me, it sounds like a Chinese (no offense at all) copy of Toyota :D But I'm interested too!

I didn't make the name, this is the brand the design company registered a while ago.

They designed the original Yota Phone, I heard the Youyota brand was made for a certain variant of Yota Phone (Maybe SFOS) but then the plan was all cancelled and the brand wasn't in use, until this time. :D

ajalkane 2017-04-02 13:05

I burned my money on Jolla tablet, and donated what I had put to Jolla. So naturally I'd try again if this happens :D

Boxeri 2017-04-02 13:30

Wow, if this really is true, I am gonna buy one

Dave999 2017-04-02 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxeri (Post 1526316)
Wow, if this really is true, I am gonna buy one

Of course its true. Its april fools true. Jolla guaranteed we would get the tablet. They just didnt told us they lack the skills to do it themself. Instead the one man tablet machine will deliver it for jolla.

mosen 2017-04-02 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukk (Post 1526308)
The car analogy is to paint the headlights with some dark color then,

Thats why i wrote "ease" not "solve" ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by elros34 (Post 1526311)
Such an application already exists.

Wow, i missed that.
Time to shift some donation over to coderus to help him find the source code and fix it for 2.1.x then.

MikeHG 2017-04-02 14:09

Well, colour me surprised, and apologies for previous scepticism. I'm guessing you won't be making any more announcements on April the 1st :)

If you make another iteration of it with a swappable battery I'd definitely consider it. I'm not sure there are any out there - I think it'd be a really good "unique selling point" - and the counterarguments (e.g. thickness, loss of waterproofing) don't really seem to stack up for tablets (personally I'd argue they don't stack up for phones either, but hey...). Even if it were held together with screws or similar, rather than 'user swappable' in the obvious sense, it'd be a big improvement.

Good luck with the project!

coderus 2017-04-02 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1526319)
Thats why i wrote "ease" not "solve" ;)

Wow, i missed that.
Time to shift some donation over to coderus to help him find the source code and fix it for 2.1.x then.

sources here: https://github.com/CODeRUS/harbour-tint-overlay
just recompile with 1701 sdk and you're happy :)

mosen 2017-04-02 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1526321)

Haha, that was quick, i will try.
Keep the change ;)

Edit, here it is on OpenRepos. Very cool and fast move coderus.
Made my sunday :D

tommo 2017-04-02 17:22

id buy one , make sure you put it on sale when I'm drunk (Thursday-Monday) and I will probably buy a couple.

meet.vino 2017-04-02 17:47

That's great news!! But no hardware changes.. Wish it had calling capacity! My Jolla 1 is becoming old, and I thot my next device would be a Xperia running Sailfish, then came the news of SFOS being ported to Oneplus Three.. And now this.. Can't wait!!!

coderus 2017-04-02 17:54

there is a place for modem in pcb, maybe you can solder it here? :D

jukk 2017-04-02 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1526321)

Thanks, it works, but there are some occasional screen flickering.

reakoLi 2017-04-02 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1526314)
I burned my money on Jolla tablet, and donated what I had put to Jolla. So naturally I'd try again if this happens :D

Same here via indie-not-gogo in past :rolleyes: would love next time go via jolla shop :) or similar