maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [SFOS] WhoGo Maps fork looks for name and visual identity (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100439)

carlosgonz 2018-08-21 13:52

Re: WhoGo Maps fork looks for name and visual identity

@rinigus take ur time to choose the best name and icon, this is import to start.

MartinK 2018-08-21 13:59

For possible etymological inspiration, let's talk about why modRana is called modRana. :)

The modRana project started back in 2010 as a fork of Rana, which apparently means "moon/wanderer" in some foreign language according to the original author.

As my fork was a modification of the original Rana software I've called modRana. But there is also another reason - there was traditionally a lot of blue color in the Rana/modRana GUI and blue translates as "modrá" in Czech. This is the second, kinda hidden meaning of the name, which can be approximately translated as "the blue one" in Czech. :)

txus 2018-08-21 14:21

@Fellfrosch try using the "indicator", including the white dot, already as the outer icon layout, and include the earth icon as background. I think that could look quite nice.

(Don't know if you understood what I mean... and I better not try to draw anything, I wouldn't want the forum to implode or something)

carlosgonz 2018-08-21 14:26

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 1547364)
For possible etymological inspiration, let's talk about why modRana is called modRana.

As my fork was a modification of the original Rana software I've called modRana. But there is also another reason - there was traditionally a lot of blue color in the Rana/modRana GUI and blue translates as "modrá" in Czech. This is the second, kinda hidden meaning of the name, which can be approximately translated as "the blue one" in Czech. :)

ok now I understand why the icon is blue, nice concept.

Fellfrosch 2018-08-21 14:34

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by txus (Post 1547365)
@Fellfrosch try using the "indicator", including the white dot, already as the outer icon layout, and include the earth icon as background. I think that could look quite nice.

(Don't know if you understood what I mean... and I better not try to draw anything, I wouldn't want the forum to implode or something)

Just a quick and dirty job...
If rinigus prefers that i make a neat job. In my eyes the world looks now like a disk. Better to say a compact disk ;)

r0kk3rz 2018-08-21 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgonz (Post 1547362)
why not? kaart, tänav, tänavKaart, kaardid, avatudMap, vabaMap, openMap, libreMap, osmMap, osMap, OSMap, sailMap, sailorMap, planet, planetMap, neptune, neptuno, saturn, saturno, mapbox, map, mapas, maps, horizon, navmap, opennav, navigator, showmap, and many many more.

please no more sailWhatever apps...

pichlo 2018-08-21 14:42

Or follow the traditional Linux naming convention (mutt, pine, vi, apache, ant, git, xxd, anjuta...) and make up a name that has nothing to do and gives no indication of what the application is for.

Kabouik 2018-08-21 14:43

I like Weego because it looks like the Wario of Meego, an OS that fathered Sailfish. It also stays close enough to WhoGo and Here WeGo, which is good to acknowledge where are the roots of this fork.

Fellfrosch 2018-08-21 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabouik (Post 1547371)
I like WeeGo because it looks like the Wario of MeeGo, an OS that fathered Sailfish. It also stays close enough to WhoGo and Here WeGo, which is good to acknowledge where are the roots of this fork.

That made me laugh. Just have a look what wee in english means.
Even so I find it funny, WeeGo is a NoGo :D:cool:

Kabouik 2018-08-21 14:49

Damn, forgot about that. Stupid Anglo-Saxons! Seems however that it is more often used to describe something tiny (no, no that) or yell excitement (Weeee!) than as a synonym of you know what, isn't? I'd happily travel with my wee Jolla and Weego app.

(Yet I found at least two other brands named Weego, one for products to carry babies, one for portable batteries; and no, I don't think they are related and meant to power your babies on the go).