maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Buy & Sell (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Hint links devices for sale online (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100831)

nonsuch 2019-12-06 10:24

Re: Hint links devices for sale online

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1562995)
Was #15 a N950 when you posted?

Yes, among others, and for 700£ if memory serves... :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1563019)
shiny appearance!

Honestly, mine looks just as good. Used but in good condition. Or do you mean the OS? Some "hackers" might be very impressed by conky ;)

edit:
Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with it - except the price.
"Reserve" means that the seller has a secret setting where the device won't be sold until a certain price is met - and judging from the Buy Now price, the reserve will be much higher than what N900s usually go for nowadays.

mscion 2019-12-06 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsuch (Post 1563066)
Yes, among others, and for 700£ if memory serves... :eek:

Honestly, mine looks just as good. Used but in good condition. Or do you mean the OS? Some "hackers" might be very impressed by conky ;)

edit:
Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with it - except the price.
"Reserve" means that the seller has a secret setting where the device won't be sold until a certain price is met - and judging from the Buy Now price, the reserve will be much higher than what N900s usually go for nowadays.

By shiny I meant it looks good to eye.
Just saw an N950 for $200 on ebay using your link. Has a large dot on the screen. What caused that? Is that fixable?

juiceme 2019-12-06 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1563074)
Just saw an N950 for $200 on ebay using your link. Has a large dot on the screen. What caused that? Is that fixable?

Unfortunately that seems to be the fate of these devices; the type of LCD that is used in N950 is such that sooner or later it starts to "rot" with black blotches, often looks like perfectly round balck cutouts in the screen.
It seems this is not related any way to mishandling or dropping the device or anything; I suppose the material of the LCD suffers some kind of chemical breakdown.

ric9K 2019-12-06 21:04

There is also this one for 30€ with shipping.
Usb broken, charger, nothing else.
So, it is cheap but you have to re-solder the usb.
I think the most part of the time will be spent in re-reading of all the threads about how to fix an usb port, to find the post with the bast advice. ;)
By the way, is there still somebody who has done that here?

stickymick 2019-12-08 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ric9K (Post 1563086)
There is also this one for 30€ with shipping.
Usb broken, charger, nothing else.
So, it is cheap but you have to re-solder the usb.
I think the most part of the time will be spent in re-reading of all the threads about how to fix an usb port, to find the post with the bast advice. ;)
By the way, is there still somebody who has done that here?

If I can remember rightly, some re-soldered the USB port back onto the board and reinforced it with glue from a hot glue gun. A tricky task as the USB port was surface mounted to the board, so there were no legs going through the board to reinforce the socket.

ric9K 2019-12-08 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1563143)
...reinforced it with glue from a hot glue gun...

I read it was more reliable to scratch the board from enamel around the plug and re-solder it widely to allow better reinforcement than adding glue as glue is too soft and elastic.
I'll give a try these days on an old n900 bard.

Done and working!
I explained how I did here

And by the way, don't throw your n900 with broken USB, fix them or send them to me, I got addicted to save them :)

pichlo 2019-12-17 08:20

Yup. A hot glue gun is pretty much useless. You can peel the glue right off.
Solder it in like this. If you want, you can reinforce with epoxy. Not a hot glue gun.

mscion 2019-12-17 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ric9K (Post 1563147)
I read it was more reliable to scratch the board from enamel around the plug and re-solder it widely to allow better reinforcement than adding glue as glue is too soft and elastic.
I'll give a try these days on an old n900 bard.

Done and working!
I explained how I did here

And by the way, don't throw your n900 with broken USB, fix them or send them to me, I got addicted to save them :)

Has anyone ever made a linux cluster using a bunch of N900s?

Maemish 2019-12-20 07:47

Anyone living in Kuopio eli asuuko kukaan Kuopiossa? Olis kiikarissa yks luuri jonka osto onnistuu vaan noutamalla.

ric9K 2019-12-20 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maemish (Post 1563472)
Anyone living in Kuopio eli asuuko kukaan Kuopiossa? Olis kiikarissa yks luuri jonka osto onnistuu vaan noutamalla.

Did you try to contact them? Sometimes, sellers change their mind and accept to send it if you organise the shippment for them that they just have to print the label for the parcel. :D