maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New members say hello ! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28834)

livredopodervil 2009-08-21 23:44

Re: New members say hello !

Hello!!!
for the last 6 months i did an intensive use of my IT, thanks to this site i had a lot of fun.
Just a bit sad because when i finally found a decent chess program (eboard/xboard + crafty) i saw the port was not being maintained anymore. there is only a port to OS2007. now i am trying to figure out how to re-compile it, but i am dolorously fresh to that thing.
anyone can help?

thanks maemo community!

thor2001 2009-08-23 11:17

hi guys,

i bought myself a n810 about two weeks ago.

It's much better than the N97, which really sucks.

I've got some problems with the maemo itself, cos I'm a windows/symbian fan.

Well, it's like a new world... :D

I finally got the dualboot-thing working with console-tools.

Can somebody give me links to easy guides (for linux noobs) for installing kismet and aircrack on N810, please?

I've got some problems getting the libs installed.
I've read about it, that it have to be installed using xterm, but dunno exactly how cos i cannot access any files in "MyDocs" from xterm.

Please, can somebody help me with a good tutorial or howto?

Thank you

Regards from germany

sevla 2009-08-25 01:49

hi guys. I'm a new member and I'm very new to the maemo community. I hope to create some apps/widgets for the n900. My first project is a virtual keyboard that is more reminiscent of a standard keyboard layout.

I stopped coding in linux a loooog time ago so it may take me a sec to get into the swing of things again. Last night I set up my vmware server and Ubuntu virtual machine. I got the sdk and necessary tools installed so I'm on my way. I've been coding in Visual Studio creating mfc apps exclusively for the past 5 years but hopefully I can make the transition back to linux somewhat gracefully :).

nwerneck 2009-08-25 03:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by thor2001 (Post 314529)

Can somebody give me links to easy guides (for linux noobs) for installing kismet and aircrack on N810, please?

Welcome to the NokiaTablet world!... :)

Regarding your inquiry, I believe there are reasons why there is few or no documentation for aircrack directed to newbies...

am1984 2009-08-25 09:39

Hey community!
Totally new to this... but hoping to get in the swing of things soon!
Glad to see a community like this.

Raf26 2009-08-25 20:02

Umm.. Hello everyone! I apologise for not posting to say hello here first before. I remembered there was a "New Members Post", but i forgotten where it was. Now i've found it, so Hello again.

Den in USA 2009-08-25 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1984 (Post 315269)
Hey community!
Totally new to this... but hoping to get in the swing of things soon!
Glad to see a community like this.

Welcome! AM1984

sjgadsby 2009-08-26 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den in USA (Post 315449)
Welcome!

We really need to get you a bright blue vest to wear while you hang out in this thread.

Texrat 2009-08-26 00:53

I'm embarrassed to admit I had overlooked this section until Gadsby posted... but I went through and thanked everyone who introduced themselves and everyone who welcomed them. This is a great "portal" to the community!

Markosib 2009-08-26 01:44

G'day Maemo's, I'm Mark and it's good to b here! I've had my N800 for about 18 months or so and have been using this site as a guest since. Now with the whole thing going mainstream and all the excitement, I've climbed aboard. I've been a Nokia fan since the 232...anybody remember? 232, 5800, 7650, 7650, N90, N80, N95 classic, N800, almost N97!, but now, soon.....N900!! I'm also an Apple fan but didn't wanted to join the Jesus Phone Club knowing the multitasking limitations on that platform. I can't code and have never used the terminal...
I'm loving Maemo none-the-less and hopin these new machines rock my world. I think igotta agree that S60 with it's millions of lines of code is now a bit tardy! Time to move on...

jrtweeter 2009-08-28 02:10

Peace Maemo's! Just joined before I buy. I've coded for Linux in a past life, want a non-cell phone PDAish tablet to play with and possibly develop for. I know the N900 is just out, but price tag too rich for me at the moment (and don't need phone bill). I'm currently thinking of getting a N810 off ebay, but I have some noob questions.
-Most used units say 128M RAM yet it's expandable to 2Gig internal. Did they really ship with only 128M?
-Will support for os2008 continue for long or will maemo 5 port to the n810? I think the answers are no and no. :(
-Any essentials I should look for that might be critical but not sold with the NIT on ebay?
-Any flaws that flag larger issues to completely avoid?
-What are you thoughts on 'must have' apps? How much can be installed at the same time?

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get one and start playing.

So, hello and thanks for all the help already!

biggzy 2009-08-29 21:52

Hi all, i joined a few days ago, im adam (aka Biggzy) from the symbian community, im looking forward to owning my first maemo device (the n900) and glad to be here apart of the maemo community :D

Very nice site with very good info/help.

regards,
Biggzy.

JayOnThaBeat 2009-08-29 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrtweeter (Post 316837)
-Most used units say 128M RAM yet it's expandable to 2Gig internal. Did they really ship with only 128M?

RAM = 128 MB + 128 MB swap file. The 2GB is internal storage.

silverroots 2009-08-31 12:49

Hello !!

I am new member of the community. Actually was thinking to buy iPhone 3GS. But when i saw new Nokia 900.. Just scrapped the idea of iPhone. This device is gonna rock. I am going to get this one anyhow. Would be contributing my dev also for this !!

Thanks for this new forums & talks to discuss !
- silverroots

Den in USA 2009-08-31 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverroots (Post 318782)
Hello !!

I am new member of the community. Actually was thinking to buy iPhone 3GS. But when i saw new Nokia 900.. Just scrapped the idea of iPhone. This device is gonna rock. I am going to get this one anyhow. Would be contributing my dev also for this !!

Thanks for this new forums & talks to discuss !
- silverroots

Welcome, Silverroots. We all here are looking forward to the N900 series of tablets/phones.

Den in USA 2009-08-31 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggzy (Post 318057)
Hi all, i joined a few days ago, im adam (aka Biggzy) from the symbian community, im looking forward to owning my first maemo device (the n900) and glad to be here apart of the maemo community :D

Very nice site with very good info/help.

regards,
Biggzy.

Welcome, Biggzy, to the forum!

silverroots 2009-08-31 13:02

Thanks a ton Den, I have started with the development too. Just finished with SDK installation :) The guide & thread talks are really helpful.

Den in USA 2009-08-31 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrtweeter (Post 316837)
Peace Maemo's! Just joined before I buy. I've coded for Linux in a past life, want a non-cell phone PDAish tablet to play with and possibly develop for. I know the N900 is just out, but price tag too rich for me at the moment (and don't need phone bill). I'm currently thinking of getting a N810 off ebay, but I have some noob questions.
-Will support for os2008 continue for long or will maemo 5 port to the n810? I think the answers are no and no. :(
-Any essentials I should look for that might be critical but not sold with the NIT on ebay?
-Any flaws that flag larger issues to completely avoid?
-What are you thoughts on 'must have' apps? How much can be installed at the same time?

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get one and start playing.

So, hello and thanks for all the help already!

Welcome, Jrtweetwer. Before you invest in an N810 you might want to search this forum to compare it to the N800. I bought a new N800 on eBay for $150. Instead of the 2gb limit on the internal memory, the N800 has a standard SD socket ( I have 16gb internal memory). I use a bluetooth GPS receiver that works much better that the one built into the N810. If a built-in keyboard is a must, then forget about the N800.

Den in USA 2009-08-31 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 315506)
I'm embarrassed to admit I had overlooked this section until Gadsby posted... but I went through and thanked everyone who introduced themselves and everyone who welcomed them. This is a great "portal" to the community!

Thanks for the thanks!

Den in USA 2009-08-31 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunwong (Post 309267)
Hi all,

I am new to the community, been here lurking for a long while but today I finally decided to register (maybe the advent of the new maemo lead device has something to do with it... ;))

Regards to all and see you out there!

Welcome, Sunwong!

Den in USA 2009-08-31 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markosib (Post 315511)
G'day Maemo's, I'm Mark and it's good to b here! I've had my N800 for about 18 months or so and have been using this site as a guest since. Now with the whole thing going mainstream and all the excitement, I've climbed aboard. I've been a Nokia fan since the 232...anybody remember? 232, 5800, 7650, 7650, N90, N80, N95 classic, N800, almost N97!, but now, soon.....N900!! I'm also an Apple fan but didn't wanted to join the Jesus Phone Club knowing the multitasking limitations on that platform. I can't code and have never used the terminal...
I'm loving Maemo none-the-less and hopin these new machines rock my world. I think igotta agree that S60 with it's millions of lines of code is now a bit tardy! Time to move on...

Welcome, Markosib!

nemo88 2009-09-02 21:42

hey all im new here, you can call me nemo :p just want to say it's good to be part of a great group, hopefully getting my N810 in a week (gift :) ) and looking forward to seeing what i can do, not the techiest of people but so far i've been given great advice :) thanks...

Den in USA 2009-09-02 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemo88 (Post 320484)
hey all im new here, you can call me nemo :p just want to say it's good to be part of a great group, hopefully getting my N810 in a week (gift from girlfriend :) ) and looking forward to seeing what i can do, not the techiest of people but so far i've been given great advice :) thanks...

Welcome, Nemo, nice to hear from England!

nemo88 2009-09-02 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den in USA (Post 320486)
Welcome, Nemo, nice to hear from England!

hi Den thanks for the welcome :) great forum though

mhotep 2009-09-03 19:02

New member here. Can't wait to get my hands on that N900. Goodbye Blackberry, Sony X1, Iphone 3g. Hello new hotness!

Den in USA 2009-09-03 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhotep (Post 320985)
New member here. Can't wait to get my hands on that N900. Goodbye Blackberry, Sony X1, Iphone 3g. Hello new hotness!

Welcome, Mhotep, to the forum. Hope you get an N900 very soon!

Ludio 2009-09-03 19:14

Hey maemo community... Active symbian s60 former n800 user gravitated to the forums for useful info on the next releases of maemo 5/6 and the new n900. Will have many questions!

Den in USA 2009-09-03 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludio (Post 320993)
Hey maemo community... Active symbian s60 former n800 user gravitated to the forums for useful info on the next releases of maemo 5/6 and the new n900. Will have many questions!

Welcome, Ludio (former N800 user) to the forum.

Jucato 2009-09-04 01:26

Greetings from the Philippines! Not exactly a "newly joined" member (registered last March), but only became active very recently, partly due to the N900. Hope I can get one soon (the price is very prohibitive and not sure if it will be available here). In the meantime, gonna continue enjoying my N810 and see what I can still do in Diablo and/or Mer. :)

joenix 2009-09-04 08:35

Hi all!
I am a Freerunner user from Belgium. I have been trying Mer on my Freerunner recently and like it very much.
If the N900 will prove open enough to use it reliably as a phone under Mer, I'll be happy to buy one as well. This is part of why I'm trying to get Ofono to run on Mer on the Freerunner at the moment :)
I also have some experience with image processing, so I'm also interested in mobile augmented reality and the such.

Jack6428 2009-09-04 13:30

ok, Hello guys!
Im Czech... :) Ive registered here because of the N900... xD

Den in USA 2009-09-04 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack6428 (Post 321452)
ok, Hello guys!
Im Czech... :) Ive registered here because of the N900... xD

welcome Jack6428 to the forum!

jrtweeter 2009-09-05 04:38

Thanks for the info. I just got an n810 and didn't do too bad on the price. It took me a while to check out all the hardware as it didn't have some of the software installed. But it looks like its all working.

Points about buying used:
-Who knows what's installed. Is it hacked?
-How do you get x working again? Currently sound doesn't work from the web browser (Flash? issue.)
-What is the version of os installed? os2008 Ver:5.2008.43-7 What does that mean?

So far I like what I have and it seems to work. I just need to make it mine. :cool:

Peace!

Den in USA 2009-09-05 04:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrtweeter (Post 321911)
Thanks for the info. I just got an n810 and didn't do too bad on the price. It took me a while to check out all the hardware as it didn't have some of the software installed. But it looks like its all working.

Points about buying used:
-Who knows what's installed. Is it hacked?
-How do you get x working again? Currently sound doesn't work from the web browser (Flash? issue.)
-What is the version of os installed? os2008 Ver:5.2008.43-7 What does that mean?

So far I like what I have and it seems to work. I just need to make it mine. :cool:

Peace!

Welcome, jrtweeter, I know what you mean about "making it your own".

rafanto 2009-09-05 17:22

I note with pleasure that maemo users are increasingly more!
At the time of the first 770 were few . Even in ITALY thanks to the support and info of maemo.org & my rafanto.net many users are approaching to the New World revolutionary MAEMO & Nokia Internet Tablet

:cool::D

regards

Antonio

Matic 2009-09-05 18:27

Hi everyone!

I live in Sweden, and i registered after seeing Nokias n900.
I owe a n95 nad i think(hope) n900 will be a good candidate as my next mobile device!

Jack6428 2009-09-05 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den in USA (Post 321502)
welcome Jack6428 to the forum!

Thanks Den..
Is there something more i should say about myself? I'm interested in IT/PC/Phones, gaming (both PC & consoles), writing articles, movies/tv shows, comics. I work in Digital Armada Game Studios as a game-tester...and at nfsgame.net as a writer and I'm going to University in 3 weeks. Right now I've got my 5th phone (Alcatel One Touch->Siemens C35->Nokia 3650->Nokia N-Gage->Nokia N70) and I'm looking forward to getting the N900 next month. I hope someone will help me out then with the more advanced stuff as I am new to Maemo.

bbin 2009-09-07 14:55

Hello everyone!

Been stalking here since the first rumours of n900 and now finally registered :p

Not a coder but definetly a gadget freak and a full hearted open source supporter from Finland :D

avnee 2009-09-08 14:40

Hello

This is a nice thread to welcome the new comers.
I have joined this discussion boards this year because of my N810.
I am from India, studying 12th grade science stream.
With the upcoming use of WIFI in India, people have started using the internet tablets too. This makes me come here.
Nokia's doing a gr8 job when it comes to maemo devices.
Future seems brighter for maemo. Soon more and more utility based apps might come up!!;)
All my queries are answered to.
Thanks to all wonderfull people.

Best regards,
Avnee.

Den in USA 2009-09-08 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack6428 (Post 322191)
Thanks Den..
Is there something more i should say about myself?

You might want to add some info to your "Signature" in your public profile so that we can see what tablet you have. I like when I can view your "Location". One of these days I will find someone just "down the road" from me.