maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Problems with N900 USB port becoming broken / loose and resulting warranty & repair issues (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37107)

Nekron 2009-12-14 20:21

Re: How sturdy is the USB port?

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 427678)
fwiw the cases reported here were pre-production devices. This problem was addressed in the final sales devices.

Thanks for the info qgil :) (I never had the feeling that the micro usb port looks cheap.)

After waiting for more than three months to get my hands on the device and beeing a bit upset about Nokias customer relation ship handling I must say that I am very impressed with the device, love the things I can do with it and well, yes, congrats on Maemo teams great work (now I realized that waiting for soooo loooong was in the end OK).

Cheers,
Nek

Death Scythe 2009-12-14 20:35

Quote:

fwiw the cases reported here were pre-production devices. This problem was addressed in the final sales devices.

This is most reassuring, thanks for posting.

thorbo 2009-12-14 20:38

Thanks qgil. This puts my mind at ease. Being a skeptic I am going to follow the issue closely a little as time goes on, but to know that it was actually thought about (and presumably tested to failure) does make a difference. Being an early adopter does carry some risks, to be sure. Thanks again.

Thor

colnago 2009-12-14 20:51

Quote:

Ummm, my unit was ordered on Dec. 9th from newegg.com, after their "2nd shipment" sold out.

raullugo 2009-12-14 21:02

Quote:

thanks bud, thats really good to know!

ny900 2009-12-14 21:09

Ditto, even though I've had to unplug mine 2 or 3 times to get the computer to see it.

raullugo 2009-12-14 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ny900 (Post 427789)
Ditto, even though I've had to unplug mine 2 or 3 times to get the computer to see it.

yes i get that too, but it seems to be a software glitch not hardware...

gerbick 2009-12-14 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by colnago (Post 427751)
Ummm, my unit was ordered on Dec. 9th from newegg.com, after their "2nd shipment" sold out.

This doesn't seem to be isolated to pre-production ones. Case in point ^^

go1dfish 2009-12-15 11:12

Quote:

Good to know, our companies pre-production (first manufacturing run) device just lost it's USB connectivity to a bump in the road at an inopportune time :( on the way back from a show.

The connector on my production unit feels stronger to me, but thats a totally subjective assessment. Keyboard has a better feel to it as well ;)

Any possibility we could get some clarification/reassuring on how the durability was improved here?

jaark 2009-12-15 14:39

Quote:

Is that (one of0 the reason(s) for the initial delay?

Also, how does the mounting of the micro-usb on the N900 compare to that on the N810?