maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   F(x)tec announces Pro1 X with Lineage OS and Ubuntu touch (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=101116)

Macros 2020-10-09 13:11

F(x)tec announces Pro1 X with Lineage OS and Ubuntu touch

I just got this newsletter in my mail:
https://mail.webfx.co/t/ViewEmail/i/...5D7BC1A387288D

And here is corresponding post on the F(x)tec Forums by chen:
https://community.fxtec.com/topic/31...ial-is-coming/

For any details, we will have to wait.

Edit:

Its a Pro 1 coming preinstalled with Lineage OS or Ubuntu touch. Hardware is only slightly improved: 8GB RAM and 256GB Disk.

Keyboard Layouts have also been improved.
Indiegogo campaign here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...oice-control#/

Maemish 2020-10-09 15:22

Re: Something is Coming - F(x)tec announces new device

I was just to ask people what device they would buy as their main device with calling abilities and when I opened the forum there is this topic.

At least LineageOs and Ubuntu touch support.

I need a device that can do what is needed and run bigger softwares (ramramram plus cpu power). If they are launching updated Fxtec then maybe I just have to wait.

But maybe I should first try my idea of making a dock for N900 with stick computer and 20 000 mA battery. I have bought the battery and the cables needed but I want to run linux on that stick and there are some problems which have prevented me from buying yet the stick.

mosen 2020-10-09 17:27

"F(x)tec announces new device "

That title is too specific imo.
There is no hard indication for a new device from what i can see.
My guess is, it is a special version of the Pro¹ with alternate OS of choice preloaded in XDA spirit?
But that is just counting 1+1 from the official words.

taixzo 2020-10-09 21:07

Speaking of "alternate OS of choice" - I wish we didn't have to make a choice. On my old phone (nexus 5) I could triple-boot between Android, Sailfish OS and Ubuntu Touch. I would love to see MultiROM or something similar on the Pro1 so it could truly do everything.

Macros 2020-10-09 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1569612)
There is no hard indication for a new device from what i can see.

Well the physical box under the cloth is a hint. The Linage logo on the side would be nothing to announce, as the Pro 1 already has official Lineage support.
Also the XDA Post mentions an Indigogo campaign starting, which rarely is for software only projects.

I may be wrong, but I do allow myself to get my hopes up ;)

xman 2020-10-09 22:52

Oh no!! I just got the PinePhone since my great n900 will no longer work on tmobile. Well I don't think of the PP as a long term, was kinda holding out for a smaller fx pro2se :)

Could this be the perfect size interation of the pro1!!
THough it working with xda I would also guess its a special adroid software colab.

x

Maemish 2020-10-09 22:54

They really pump the hype with their posts. And chens post is not a humble one but you get the feeling he is reeeeally excited.

And like now you finally get your privacy - guaranteed way of speaking.

xman 2020-10-09 23:05

I thought it was good. And they got to be proud of continuing to run a company that ships product throught all this craziness.

If they support mainline with no google blobs and have a smaller form factor I guess I will just need 2 phone :(. I would use the pinephone for testing on android and mobile views and just fun.

x

kinggo 2020-10-10 09:19

https://i.postimg.cc/JzPjrSD4/xda.png
#PrivacyControlChoice........

with facebook, google and twitter :D

Wanted to say that it is what every body is doing today, electric car but with no windows cause of privacy :D Not using any of those so can't share my idea :(

Maemish 2020-10-10 11:28

I would have come up with some funny stuff but can't share them either. I do not have those privacy focused platforms in use.

My hobby are old laptops. Annoyed when someone shares info about them on a website which you are unable to open or use with old laptops. It is like brainfarting bad smelling oxy*****s.

I really hoped they would make access available. For a moment I could not access Leste site with my N900 which also annoyed but glad now I can with Opera. Otherwise would like to complaint.

clort 2020-10-10 15:01

Chen trying to generate buzz with content-free forum posts, and crowdfunding based on 'we intend to do something else next' may be part of the modern indy-producer production pipeline, however...

In the spectrum of signals I watch for, this isn't a particularly welcome or encouraging one - given the status quo of how few Pro1's they are shipping.

Maemish 2020-10-10 17:27

Just have to wait. I don't like waiting. But when they announce whatever it will be, we will have again something to talk about. And they will probably listen ideas people will fire them with. And that is nice. I would have just wanted to see the Leste logo there too.

robthebold 2020-10-26 14:48

Just got another email from fxtec:

Quote:

We are now just 24 hours away from launching something special.
Here's what you need to know ahead of our launch:
Tomorrow at 1.50pm we will send you an exclusive early bird link to our IndieGoGo page. This gives you 10 minutes to get in there and swipe your super early-bird discounted perk before we launch to the rest of the world.

We have limited numbers of early bird perks available & once they’re gone, they’re gone.

You will need an IndieGoGo account to back us (we recommend making one in advance to save time tomorrow).

Spread the word! Refer your friends, family & anyone else that might be interested in our launch & you could be in with the chance of winning yourself ‘SOMETHING SPECIAL’.

See you tomorrow!
Of course from my negative IndieGoGo experience, I can't participate, but I'm excited to see what they've got. Looks like Lineage and UBPorts/Ubuntu Touch logos now appear on the shrouded box. (Apparently, it wasn't a conference table as I'd guessed.)

Also, not sure when they mean by 1:50 PM. Did they localize that for my time zone (currently UTC-5)? I don't remember if I told them my TZ or location . . . Or is it 13:50 UTC?

Anyway, good luck, Fxtec. Can't wait to see what you've got. (I'd also like a Pro1. And a robot butler. And a jetpack. Got that, Santa?)

mosen 2020-10-27 08:06

1.50 PM is UK time GMT = UTC.
For me in DE that is 14:50 Winter/Regular time since i am UTC+1.

Maemish 2020-10-27 12:11

I wish they would have a page with a counter. Why they do not have? It would not have been too difficult. Maybe they just didn't think it through.

robthebold 2020-10-27 13:42

Pro1-X, huh? Does look exciting. Running Lineage or UBPorts out of the box. And an "in time for Christmas" package?

Macros 2020-10-27 14:06

Here the Mail:

https://mail.webfx.co/t/ViewEmail/i/...767151F2435ACA

And here the direct link to their Indiegogo:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...oice-control#/

Its a slightly improved Pro1 with Linage preinstalled.
I will likely also wait and maybe buy when ready with Sailfish or even better: Leste!

robthebold 2020-10-27 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macros (Post 1569901)
Here the Mail:

https://mail.webfx.co/t/ViewEmail/i/...767151F2435ACA

And here the direct link to their Indiegogo:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...oice-control#/

Its a slightly improved Pro1 with Linage preinstalled.
I will likely also wait and maybe buy when ready with Sailfish or even better: Leste!

Or even, even better: both!

deutch1976 2020-10-27 15:02

Lineage- maybe
UBports- i feel something is missing on it
Leste- would be the perfect OS for this device :)

catbus 2020-10-27 15:39

Sh.t - so unlucky... had 2 hour power failure and missed super early bird...

Well, life is...

deutch1976 2020-10-27 16:20

114% in a couple of hours :)

mosen 2020-10-27 16:34

The XDA cooperation is a really wise move.
Fits very well since communities overlap much.

Maemish 2020-10-27 16:37

I see there is still 5 left for 599 or something. Was gonna hit it but do not have my credit card with me.

Maemish 2020-10-27 17:01

Aargh! Wife got home and gave me my card info. Back to payment. Put info. Card declined. Tried twice. What is wroooong!?! Remembered I hvae put a limit to 500eur for my mastercard.

Maemish 2020-10-27 17:12

Can't log into my mastercard to increase the amount I can pay. When I finally decided to buy something new I can't. Maybe I just buy an iPhone from a store. Or now I know. I can put money to my mastercard account. Yes! Let's see if they are still available when I get home.

Maemish 2020-10-27 17:34

10 minutes cost: 100€. Missed the perk to get it for 500€. Now jumped to 600€ perk. If this does not happen then I can finally join the bitter maemo forum indiegogo "didn't happen and lost my money" choirs.

Maemish 2020-10-27 18:05

And now got mail that my payment wasn't succesfull. It seems I just can't make this happen.

Maemish 2020-10-27 18:16

Got a message from my mastercard provider. Contact immediately them for my accounts privacy problems. They had labeled the buy suspicious and blocked the purchase. They opened it but now I have to wait for 20min before I can make a new purchase.

acrux 2020-10-27 18:38

Has anybody heard/read anything about better antenna or reception sensitivity of Pro1X in comparison of Pro1? If not, then I do not see a point of buying it - just can't use it...

mosen 2020-10-27 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maemish (Post 1569913)
Got a message from my mastercard provider. Contact immediately them for my accounts privacy problems. They had labeled the buy suspicious and blocked the purchase. They opened it but now I have to wait for 20min before I gan make a new purchase.

That happened too me during the Pro¹ purchase, i had an instant call from my institute asking if the transaction is valid or if they should block it. I explained and advertised the cause a bit and all was fine back then.
No problems this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by acrux (Post 1569915)
Has anybody heard/read anything about better antenna or reception sensitivity of Pro1X in comparison of Pro1? If not, then I do not see a point of buying it - just can't use it...

The only confirmed hardware changes are 8GB + 256GB memories and awesome blue case with Ubports or Lineage logo engraved.

Maemish 2020-10-27 20:04

In the end I had to call to my friend if he can buy it with his credit card and I transfer money to his account. He found the product and it was still under 600eur. But to buy he had to make indiegogo account. He made but there came no option to change email address to mine so that I would receive shipment info. So log out and log in with my account. He did. But the price had rose again with 35eur. But after some hassling I finally got it purchased (contribution order). After he had paid he went back to the page and said oops. There was still the cheaper perk available but he just missed it before. So I supported the campaign with extra 35eur.

Maemish 2020-10-27 20:22

And my only reason to buy this phone was to be able to run linux programs on it. That is why I ordered it with LineageOs which sounded in my ears like a linux os. Well done Maemish!

mosen 2020-10-27 20:45

Oh, you should have went with UBPorts then?
Lineage is "just" the degoogelified Android with root access out of the box.
the main intention is to have control over most aspects in android and a community that adapts this ideas on every new android release.

UBPorts afaiu is kind of Ubuntu Linux on mobile.

I backed the UBPorts version, just because i am curious what it feels like. Never bothered to try as of yet tbh. But it might fit the Pro¹ even better then sfos for desktop use.

Maemish 2020-10-27 21:25

Let's see how easy it is to change the order.

mosen 2020-10-27 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maemish (Post 1569922)
Let's see how easy it is to change the order.

That, i almost guarantee is a non issue since the spirit of the device is centred around that idea.
Choosing the preinstall flavour is only for convenience!

And imo the key untapped selling point and market test. Lineage has "street cred" and many casual users know about it and want it. But are not able or hesitant to flash for themselves.
They are the first phone company with Lineage out of the box now.

Thank you for backing and going through all the CC trouble. Selfish thought, but your contribution made Pro² more likely :D

n900user259 2020-10-28 00:13

I wonder how they're able to deliver Ubuntu touch when ubports don't mention the device anywhere on their site.

netman 2020-10-28 01:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1569916)
The only confirmed hardware changes are 8GB + 256GB memories and awesome blue case with Ubports or Lineage logo engraved.

And different keyboard layout options (even qwerty is different, not shifted a row to the right from standard like OG Pro1).

And yes, blue!

xman 2020-10-28 06:52

After a long day of work, which I finally launch a project ... I come here to see that Maemish has almost lost his mind, credit card, wife and good friend ... haha. But happy ending prevails! Good on you man.

Just got the email that my PinePhone is starting the shipment process.

x

chenliangchen 2020-10-28 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by n900user259 (Post 1569925)
I wonder how they're able to deliver Ubuntu touch when ubports don't mention the device anywhere on their site.

It will be in the coming days. :)

mosen 2020-10-28 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by n900user259 (Post 1569925)

Some tweet from the foundation just now:

https://twitter.com/UBports/status/1321390704829042689

Quote:

UBports Foundation
@UBports
So yesterday we had a crazy awesome day:
1, @thefxtec
launched the Pro1-X
2. @NeoTheThird
launched a new version of the UBports Installer with new features to help support upcoming devices, and support for #Xiaomi #Redmi4X (port made by @DanctNIX
) was added to the Installer.