maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Jolla1 & TOH (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Android apps on Jolla (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92067)

maluka 2013-12-17 23:11

Android apps on Jolla

We all prefer native apps, it is after all why we bought the Jolla in the first place, but using Android apps for core functionality on Jolla is presently a must. There are some native apps that don't quite cut the mustard yet and many more apps that may never get native versions and then there are those that haven't made it over from the N900/N9 yet for a variety of reasons.

Lets use this thread to share what Android apps we use.

Mail: I started with K9 mail but I've recently switched to the much better K-@ Mail Pro
RSS Reader: Press, Flipboard, Pulse
Podcasts: AntennaPod (uses Gpodder database), Soundcloud
Radio: BBC iPlayer Radio
Cloud Storage: ownCloud, Dropbox, Skydrive etc.
Image editing: Snapseed
Messaging: LINE
Social: Instagram, RedReader Beta(Reddit)

http://i.imgur.com/PHfRpjC.png

TrD 2013-12-18 00:56

Re: Android apps on Jolla

I don't have many android apps but few I'm using:
Facebook - rather using that than using browser for checking FB..waiting for events feed tho :P

Youtube - video/audio is sometimes badly out of sync, sometimes not, only using randomly, mostly for listening some songs.

Firefox for browsing
Shazam for recognising songs
Tapatalk for reading forums.

Thats pretty much it. I would probably use more if I bothered installing google play, got lots of apps there.

juiceme 2013-12-18 07:01

I don't use any :)
I tried the dalvik thingy just for fun and then uninstalled it.

Silwer 2013-12-18 07:08

I installed:
- Viber
- WhatsApp
- Speedtest
- and few games

I would like to install also Racechrono app, however, it does not want to install (and most likely it is not functional as it might not be able to use internal or external GPS).

chenliangchen 2013-12-18 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1397972)
I don't use any :)
I tried the dalvik thingy just for fun and then uninstalled it.

I just use Wechat and that's it.

I feel Android apps are so poorly written that consume so many resources of device. Perfectly defines inefficiency.;)

Rauha 2013-12-18 08:31

Firefox and Spotify are at the moment essential to me. Wouldn't carry the phone with me without them.

Also using the official Wikipedia app, YLE Areena and few games occasionally.

seiichiro0185 2013-12-18 09:58

I have two at the moment:

Google Authenticator (I might try to write a native app for that, but I'm still at the "Getting to know the SDK"-Phase :) )

saleki 2013-12-18 10:37

Does google plus app work on jolla?

pycage 2013-12-18 11:13

For me it's currently

- Spotify
- DB Navigator (I go by train often and trains are usually late in Germany)
- Amazon Kindle Reader
- Google Translator (great that it works offline, too)

kkito 2013-12-18 11:19

I've installed whatsapp, but is almost unusable for me because it has no rights to read contacts from device, then my contacts list from wathsapp is empty, I can only write messages from conversations started by others .There is any way to enable the contacts for android apps?

Also, registering with sms code didn't work, I was forced to use the voice call from WA to get and enter the verification code.

andreas1 2013-12-18 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkito (Post 1398094)
I've installed whatsapp, but is almost unusable for me because it has no rights to read contacts from device, then my contacts list from wathsapp is empty, I can only write messages from conversations started by others .There is any way to enable the contacts for android apps?

Also, registering with sms code didn't work, I was forced to use the voice call from WA to get and enter the verification code.

Cant remember anymore how, but I have my contacts in whatsapp. Was it maybe when doing initial setup, sorry no memory - but it is possible. Also, I got sms - though after doing a typo had to use call-option.

Silwer 2013-12-18 11:45

My whatsapp also installed and works without issues and I had already contacts in the phone before installing whatsapp (others have suggested to download whatsapp before inserting contacts to the phone).

PS! I downloaded my whatsapp from Google Play Store.

kkito 2013-12-18 11:52

I've installed the apk from whatsapp homepage (http://www.whatsapp.com/android/) , my contacts were already added in the Phone. Anyone knows how to fix it (not able to retrieve contacts)?

Are you able also to add contacts using WA? I got a permission error (or similar) when doing it.

Regards!

ejjoman 2013-12-18 12:12

I added my contacts before I installed WhatsApp. And these contacts appeared in WA without any problems.

After I installed WA, I noticed that (at least) one contact was missing (got not synced from my N9 correctly). So I added that contact manually in the People app but that contact did not appear in WA.
After a reboot of my Jolla, the contact appeared in WA contacts list.

I think, the local contacts get synced at boot time with the phone book in Android.

tissot 2013-12-18 12:21

This may be a bit long shot to ask here, but maybe we have other Pandora users here that don't live in couple of countries it's available.

Has anybody tried to get Pandora work on Jolla? I know there are ways on Android.

Rauha 2013-12-18 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 1398135)
This may be a bit long shot to ask here, but maybe we have other Pandora users here that don't live in couple of countries it's available.

Has anybody tried to get Pandora work on Jolla? I know there are ways on Android.

Don't have an account and not really interested, but I tried it.

Pandora installed fine, started and then I got "Sorry, not supported in country" message.

Silwer 2013-12-18 12:43

I have not tried to add contacts to WA, however, contact list refresh in WA seems to work.

tissot 2013-12-18 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rauha (Post 1398145)
Don't have an account and not really interested, but I tried it.

Pandora installed fine, started and then I got "Sorry, not supported in country" message.

That I knew. :) You need to use OpenVPN or similar to get it working. I'm interested to try out Freedome by F-Secure that i got a beta invite for. Just not sure will those solutions work on Jolla.

Should have the device finally here tomorrow and I can start playing with those.

Rauha 2013-12-18 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 1398159)
That I knew. :) You need to use OpenVPN or similar to get it working. I'm interested to try out Freedome by F-Secure that i got a beta invite for. Just not sure will those solutions work on Jolla.

Should have the device finally here tomorrow and I can start playing with those.

<Off-topic>
So wthat is so special about the service? Its somekind of Spotify competitor? Must be good, if bothering setting VPN for it is wort the trouble

<off-topic/>

tissot 2013-12-18 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rauha (Post 1398169)
<Off-topic>
So wthat is so special about the service? Its somekind of Spotify competitor? Must be good, if bothering setting VPN for it is wort the trouble

<off-topic/>

It's Nokia's MixRadio, but just tens of times better.

It is perfect for the likes of me who is most of all looking for new songs, bands. Pandora's music library is totally in a another level compared to all of the big services I have tried.

Also the algorithms it finds music for you is near magic. Still after 3-4 years of using Pandora I find songs and bands in genres that I thought I had exhausted long time ago.

billranton 2013-12-18 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by saleki (Post 1398063)
Does google plus app work on jolla?

Worked fine for me. When you install it you get the Photos app too, but I didn't want to go near that. Hangouts works too, though its launcher is a bit broken - no icon and the name is just 'com'

Does anyone know how much gets removed if you uninstall Yandex/Android Support? Does the entire /opt/alien tree disappear?

RX-51 2013-12-18 14:27

I'd like to know if Google Apps is pre-installed with Alien Davik? Need it to run Threema as a secure Whatsapp alternative :/

An alternative place to download Google Apps except Google Play market place?

maluka 2013-12-18 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX-51 (Post 1398215)
I'd like to know if Google Apps is pre-installed with Alien Davik? Need it to run Threema as a secure Whatsapp alternative :/

An alternative place to download Google Apps except Google Play market place?

No Google apps are installed with Dalvik. There's a way of installing Play store and gapps outlined here http://mynokiablog.com/2013/11/29/ho...m-jolla-phone/.

RX-51 2013-12-18 22:05

Someone tried installing XPrivacy with the XPosed Framework in Android yet?

/edit
It doesn't work for me, Alien Davik access seems to restrict it:
Quote:

could not read log: /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/log/debug.log: open failed: ENOENT (No such file or directory)

rentze 2013-12-18 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by billranton (Post 1398177)
Worked fine for me. When you install it you get the Photos app too, but I didn't want to go near that. Hangouts works too, though its launcher is a bit broken - no icon and the name is just 'com'

Does anyone know how much gets removed if you uninstall Yandex/Android Support? Does the entire /opt/alien tree disappear?

OT:
Dude... You're in Switzerland and you've got a Jolla! How, how, enlighten us?

chenliangchen 2013-12-19 01:03

1 Attachment(s)
After a few hours of play with Alien Dalvik and Play Store I noticed a problem of downloading paid content from play store, even though you have already own the app. As you click paid content, error occurs for retrieving information from server. Tried using web play store on computer to "push" the paid item to the phone, it shows as purchased, and downloaded fine, but crashes on installing and the whole alien dalvik needs to be rebooted. Seems really weird.

RX-51 2013-12-19 02:40

Fail to run official WhatsApp client (apk download from their page), pop-up showing up:
Quote:

Alert

A cellular data network is required to activate WhatsApp Messenger
Browser is working though, data connection is established for Sailfish at least.

pizzulicchio 2013-12-19 14:46

I have installed Whatsapp downloading from APTOIDE store...
i have done the contacts syncs before installing app so no problems for the contacs...

No sms activation... automatic call is needed at first startup.

Whatsapp chat is fully working, picture sending too, but i'm not be able to play the video received.
The video player doesn't start.
Can someone confirm that ?

benny1967 2013-12-22 12:28

I might be the only person in the world who needs this application, but I'm so glad I finally can use it :D

There's an application from my Austrian cable TV provider called "A1 TV", and I was lucky enough to find it on Aptoide. Finally I can browse and search not only the TV guides, but also A1's own streaming video service. I soooo missed this Android & iOS only app on my N9!

MaemoUser 2013-12-22 12:40

Is Google Maps working for anyone? For me it only displays "Cannot connect to network".

contratto 2013-12-22 12:50

Hi,
Foursquare app is not working on Jolla, can't sign in:
"Google Play services, which some of your applications rely on, is not supported by your device. Please contact the manufacturer for assistance".
Any ideas?

billranton 2013-12-22 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by rentze (Post 1398465)
OT:
Dude... You're in Switzerland and you've got a Jolla! How, how, enlighten us?

Mine was shipped to France. I knew that was a good idea at the time...

Larswad 2013-12-22 13:28

No barcode scanning program works. seems they don't get access to camera oroperly.

chrome gets installed fibe, but entering a url it just sits there doing nothing.
lots and lots of other apps crashes or malfunctions. Boy, our sailor boys have lots of work to do. But I will be patiently waiting.

droll 2013-12-22 13:40

do the android apps check some kind of platform identifier string on the phone for it to work? if so, maybe there's a way to change this?

just a guess....*shrug*

Ozymandias 2013-12-22 13:47

Foursquare seems to have few GPS Problems, but finds the general location... I have no idea how it is supposed to work as I've used Ubersquare on the n900 until now.

Whatsapp has a strange problem: Some of my contacts are shown with just their picture and phone number, no name. The others (the majority) is shown correctly with the name. Refreshing contact list didn't work.

Also I am not really sure whether Whatsapp works correctly, it seems not to send any notifications / sounds.

And while we're at it, how exactly do the android apps behave? When is an android app closed an when is it still running in the background? With sailfish apps it's easy to see, but not so sure with android. Is the button on the right a taskswitcher or does it merely show recent apps?

bertjefred 2013-12-22 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkito (Post 1398118)
I've installed the apk from whatsapp homepage (http://www.whatsapp.com/android/) , my contacts were already added in the Phone. Anyone knows how to fix it (not able to retrieve contacts)?

Are you able also to add contacts using WA? I got a permission error (or similar) when doing it.

Regards!

I don't know if this was answered already, but if I sync my google contacts all mobile numbers are set as home numbers in my jolla. When syncing contacts Whatsapp looks at the mobile numbers. So I just copied the home numbers to the mobile numbers in the jolla people. Restarted the device and my contacts that have their numbers under mobile are visible in whatsapp.

So if you add a contact to your Jolla phone book with their number set as mobile it will show up in whatsapp. (don't know if a device reboot is required)

bandora 2013-12-22 15:13

I wonder if u can install Google maps... Current navigation app on the Jolla phone sux

Fuzzillogic 2013-12-22 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandora (Post 1399688)
I wonder if u can install Google maps... Current navigation app on the Jolla phone sux

Google Maps is also online, tile based. You might be able to download some of it and use it for quasi-offline navigation, but imo that's not worth giving up your privacy.

I've installed OsmAnd~ from f-droid. Offline, vector based OSM maps with offline navigation. I can only hope with the Jolla app will one day achieve feature parity with this app.

latency 2013-12-22 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertjefred (Post 1399669)
I don't know if this was answered already, but if I sync my google contacts all mobile numbers are set as home numbers in my jolla. When syncing contacts Whatsapp looks at the mobile numbers. So I just copied the home numbers to the mobile numbers in the jolla people. Restarted the device and my contacts that have their numbers under mobile are visible in whatsapp.

So if you add a contact to your Jolla phone book with their number set as mobile it will show up in whatsapp. (don't know if a device reboot is required)

But contacts in whatsapp only show up as numbers and not the names of the contacts? At least that's how it is when running whatsapp on my Jolla. It becomes very confusing in groups to know who is writing. I hope contact names as well as sending and receiving videos etc will be possible soon.

Fuzzillogic 2013-12-22 23:46

I try to avoid google, but many companies publish their apps only on the google play store. Needing a google-account is one thing, as I could make one specially for the purpose. Having google's services running in the background on my device however is something I really want to avoid. Are there tools available to download free apps from the play store, without using the play store?

There's this, but that might close down any minute. The alternative, using Chrome, well... That won't run so great on Jolla - like I even would want to use google's browser.

Anymore options?