maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Planet Astro Slide (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100995)

Bundyo 2020-03-30 08:15

Planet Astro Slide

Planet Computers just announced a new IndieGoGo campaign, this time for a slider with full Psion-style keyboard. Community Linux support also promised, didn't see Sailfish mentioned this time. Looks very good.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...-transformer#/

atlochowski 2020-03-30 08:30

Re: Planet Astro Slide

This new phone has Android 10 but SailfishOS HADK uses AOSP 9.0 and there is no HADK which uses AOSP 10 for this moment.

Bundyo 2020-03-30 09:28

This time the release is scheduled for the next year, so this may change.

peterleinchen 2020-03-30 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 1566359)
This time the release is scheduled for the next year, so this may change.

Sure, soon(TM) :rolleyes:

macexplorer 2020-03-30 11:46

1yr to deliver..probably learning from gemini/cosmo.
But these 2 earlier, have been basically crap.
Why would they be any different now i think..so i will pass

Bundyo 2020-03-30 12:26

Cosmo is much better built than Gemini - I have both and can compare. The only downside is the wretched second screen. :)

Planet lately released their Linux for Cosmo which works rather nicely. There are some bugs, but much much better than what we had on Gemini.

EDIT: Oh, and this processor has DisplayPort support, so no hacks to get it on big screens. I hope this works better for Linux too.

xman 2020-03-30 14:48

Well this is so much more compelling then the last 2 models. I'm impress with the specs and the keyboard design. Also the actual use looks to be a bit clunky compared to Pro1, but will need to see more.

Though the longevity of that design will need to be tested. I guess they felt the competition from FX :)

I'm excited for more competition and this I think gives people who want larger keys to type on a choose. Just a bit thinker, 16.4(W) x 7.66cm(D) x 1.5(H)cm.

I'm not in it for Android, but would this mean that it would get the full sailfish from Jolla. this could be cool.

Here are some pics

https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-medi...c8pvien5gs.jpg

Video of the design:
https://player.vimeo.com/video/401654073

juiceme 2020-03-30 17:49

Does anyone have a picture showing the underside of the opened device; how is the sliding mechanism actually working? Can it be robust enough?

ravelo 2020-03-30 18:18

There is a video on indiegogo showing a prototype in action.

ravelo 2020-03-30 18:28

In this forum I think that most users might be more interested in Pinephone that will get a similiar keyoard later as an addon.

juiceme 2020-03-30 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravelo (Post 1566369)
There is a video on indiegogo showing a prototype in action.

The video is not clear on how the mechanism works. There's only one short peek of the rails and it is not very enlightening.

robthebold 2020-03-31 03:21

That's the real name, Astro Slide? Cause I'm imagining dropping my, uh, Astro Slide all the time due to very slippery fingers.

Looks cool in pictures, though.

xman 2020-03-31 04:25

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1566368)
Does anyone have a picture showing the underside of the opened device; how is the sliding mechanism actually working? Can it be robust enough?

This was part of one of the indiegogo video,
https://youtu.be/xQVB9A2mujM?t=73

your welcome :)

rootytooty 2020-03-31 04:31

I saw it too looks kind of interesting. That is what made me get my old N900 out and dust it off. Just can't figure which apps equate to something I might find on Android like email and some of the normal apps one might need.

Thanks,
Bob

xman 2020-03-31 05:18

rootooty, what are normal apps?

I don't think the n900 ever been about apps really. More like the device you can modify to fit your needs. Just need to do more work. Which can be a turn off or turn on :) depending on your the use case

x

peterleinchen 2020-03-31 09:10

Does it stop after sliding, like N900?
And only hinge out after another push? (so we might have two end positions to use?)

Or is is one move/position only?

nonsuch 2020-03-31 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by xman (Post 1566365)

I think this shows the mechanism nicely, technical and usage POV.

rootytooty 2020-03-31 19:55

You are correct if one is familiar wit Linux it makes it easier. I am not that familiar so I needed to be able to cross reference what apps I am familiar with with what is Linux. Like I said I didn't realize my N900 was so slow. It takes minutes in some cases to complete an act of some kind.

ThomasAH 2020-04-02 21:02

I backed it, then asked for a refund after I read up a bit on their past campaigns. Their reputation for supporting previous devices (Gemini, Cosmo) is just ****.

Supposedly they completely dropped support for the Gemini at this point, and while some backers are still waiting for their Cosmo to be delivered they went ahead and started a new campaign for the Astro. I've seen this behaviour before by another company during another campaign I backed on Kickstarter (for a watch), it's not good. Often means they don't have any money left and hope to raise money with a new campaign.

From what I've read software wise the Cosmo is left with Android 9 full of bugs (much less polished and adapted for landscape/hardware-keyboard than FxTech Pro 1 for example), and they've just released an alpha-quality version of Linux with KDE Plasma with all kinds of random crashes and drivers not working just last month. I think they won't get everything working either, seeing as the Cosmo (and the Astro as well) is based on a closed source Mediatek SoC, and I doubt they'll be able to get the drivers for it, and if they do, they need to get them working under Linux, which I doubt even more.

So, at first sight it all looks good, but looking at the current state of the Gemini and the Cosmo, I don't dare to risk my money, then wait for at least a year, and likely be disappointed with an unfinished product.

rootytooty 2020-04-02 23:10

Thanks Thomas,
Good information. I don't know if they will refund my money or not. If not I will just have to try to sell it. The Pro1 looks like a more usable device and don't have to open it like the Cosmo.

I have two Gemini one WIfi and one with sim card. If I get the new Pro 1 and like it I might just sell the others.

Thanks,
Bob

xman 2020-04-03 04:56

Great point ThomasAH!

I was about to say there support matter less, but not if the SOC is closed sourced. And I think the Pro1 is for sure hurting their general sales outside old Psion user wanting another go at the keyboard.

This should have been the first and only device for at least 2 years. Getting everything bug free. then support it for at least 3 yrs. But they are a small company, what yah gonna do.

x

ThomasAH 2020-04-03 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by rootytooty (Post 1566512)
Thanks Thomas,
Good information. I don't know if they will refund my money or not. If not I will just have to try to sell it. The Pro1 looks like a more usable device and don't have to open it like the Cosmo.

I have two Gemini one WIfi and one with sim card. If I get the new Pro 1 and like it I might just sell the others.

Thanks,
Bob

Hey Bob,

You mean you're doubtful whether they would refund your pledge for the Astro? Because as I understand it they should, the campaign still lasts 36 days before it's "locked" (which is why I immediately asked for a refund).

So you own both the Gemini (two, even :)) and the Cosmo? How do you experience their support? Would you say the devices are finished (both hardware and software wise)? I'm very curious :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by xman (Post 1566513)
Great point ThomasAH!

I was about to say there support matter less, but not if the SOC is closed sourced. And I think the Pro1 is for sure hurting their general sales outside old Psion user wanting another go at the keyboard.

Well yes, from what I understand the Mediatek SoC is closed source, so actual mainline kernel on that phone is dream (like on any other Android device). You would have to use libhybris and therefore rely on closed source/blob drivers, old kernel versions etcetera. It's like trying to make mainline linux run on a Samsung Galaxy S20 (again, as far as I understand :)).

Quote:

Originally Posted by xman (Post 1566513)
This should have been the first and only device for at least 2 years. Getting everything bug free. then support it for at least 3 yrs. But they are a small company, what yah gonna do.

x

I fully agree! You know what, if they would simply start a new Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaign with the single goal of making Linux run on their devices so that they would become actual pocket pc's with phone functionality, I would back it in a second (given that I would own one of their devices ;))

catbus 2020-04-03 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1566372)
The video is not clear on how the mechanism works. There's only one short peek of the rails and it is not very enlightening.

+

Somehow I’m not convinced of that implementation...

xman 2020-04-04 01:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by catbus (Post 1566552)
+

Somehow I’m not convinced of that implementation...

Yeah it's for sure not as smooth as the fx Pro1 and seem to be more likely to fail in the long run. But looking forward seeing this in the real world.

I will say I'm happy it exist! And hope the company does more to make their product more approachable to none android people.

x

rootytooty 2020-04-04 01:40

Hi Thomas,
I haven't needed much support. i will say when I have contacted them originally they were really good and helpful, that was on my first Gemini. On the second one they were ok but since I sent my letter to get my money back I have not heard from them yet. So, it was ok at first but now I am still waiting for a reply. Check my bank account and nothing there has been refunded. I will let you know,
Thanks,
Bob

Maemish 2020-10-31 05:38

Did you rootytooty get your money back? And what are your plans with N900?

stefanmohl 2022-06-06 13:32

Has anyone here received their Astro Slide yet (maybe a Japanese user)? How is Sailfish doing on it?