maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Power Button Not Working for Nokia N9 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=101292)

salahkhani 2022-01-26 12:53

Power Button Not Working for Nokia N9

Dear Fellows,,

I have Nokia N9 a long side with my Monster Nokia N900 which am using it till now as daily use. My other device which is Nokia N9 has this issue were I can not press the Power Button either to lock the device or shut it down / reboot.

Is there any solution how to make Nokia N9 reboot when it is power off !!!

Is there any application which can make me turn the device off also !!!

Thanks

Macros 2022-01-27 12:06

Re: Power Button Not Working for Nokia N9

The N9 boots if you connect it to a power source, so you can carry a very small power bank with you and use it to boot the N9.

For shutdown you can just use the terminal or use the handy application PowerControl which gives you a icon that offers you the choice to reboot or shutdown.

You could try opening your N9 and repairing the button. But as the power button requires a nearly complete disassembly I would not recommend it if you don't have experience.

salahkhani 2022-01-27 18:34

Thanks for the reply,,

as for the Power Control Installation file no longer working which I do not know why like almost most of N9 applications. Each time I try to install this application it says not installing...

As for for the repair I will see what I can do regarding this matter,

My question is,, is there any terminal command to shut it down??

aspergerguy 2022-01-27 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by salahkhani (Post 1573404)
Each time I try to install this application it says not installing...

Have you tried resetting date upon N9 to ~ 2012-2014 in case security certificate lapsed upon application(s)?

nowave7 2022-01-28 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by salahkhani (Post 1573404)
Thanks for the reply,,

as for the Power Control Installation file no longer working which I do not know why like almost most of N9 applications. Each time I try to install this application it says not installing...

As for for the repair I will see what I can do regarding this matter,

My question is,, is there any terminal command to shut it down??

Of course there is, you need to be root though.
Code:

devel-su
this grants you the root access, careful what you do when you're root
enter your root password, and then
Code:

/sbin/reboot
or
Code:

/sbin/shutdown -r 0
to restart the device down immediately, or
Code:

/sbin/shutdown -h 0
to shutdown/halt the device immediately.

Macros 2022-01-28 11:52

You can install old applications in the console with aegis-apt-get / aegis-dpkg (Big thanks to coderus for the awesome tools!)

salahkhani 2022-01-28 12:58

Thank you all friends for your reply.. I wish Nokia N9 was as good as the Monster Nokia N900 which it is pretty good from the design. function and the built quality.. Unlike N9, the quality is good but from the button side is very bad. The power button seems like melted inside won't come out and can not press it or push it. Such a shame.

nonsuch 2022-01-30 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macros (Post 1573401)
You could try opening your N9 and repairing the button. But as the power button requires a nearly complete disassembly I would not recommend it if you don't have experience.

Considering the way the N9 is built, you will need to remove the screen first and possibly lift out the mainboard to do any sort of repair.
I wouldn't consider this "nearly complete disassembly", and if you want to continue using a 10yo phone you better get used to it.
I did it several times even without the special tools (but have a hard guitar plectrum or something similar handy).
In other words, I do recommend it.

If the plastic cover of the power switch is broken you can tinker with it and hopefully fix it, but I wouldn't start messing around on the board itself.

Nokia provided its customers with excellent hardware documentation, I have uploaded what I have here.

nowave7 2022-02-01 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by salahkhani (Post 1573423)
Thank you all friends for your reply.. I wish Nokia N9 was as good as the Monster Nokia N900 which it is pretty good from the design. function and the built quality.. Unlike N9, the quality is good but from the button side is very bad. The power button seems like melted inside won't come out and can not press it or push it. Such a shame.

Yeah I know what you mean. If it's any consolation to you (probably isn't), N9 is some 11 years old. I have one Garmin cycling computer, top of the line, only 4.5 years old, the on/off button completely disintegrated. The only button on the device made out of some sort of gumi, not even plastic. What's worse, Garmin is still operating, unlike Nokia, but refuse to repair the device, even though it's a well known problem, and a lot of users are affected. And that's not the only Garmin's flop when it comes to reliability. A small off topic rant on my side. Sorry, will stop now.:)

salahkhani 2022-02-02 10:32

Thanks for your suggestion,

Actually the button is deeply inside like stuck and would not go out side or come out after pressing the button, so it is stuck inside not going back out side like the volume buttons when you press them and they go back to normal.

I do not count on this device much, my Monster N900 is my daily use mobile which I love it to the BONE..

salahkhani 2022-02-02 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowave7 (Post 1573464)
Yeah I know what you mean. If it's any consolation to you (probably isn't), N9 is some 11 years old. I have one Garmin cycling computer, top of the line, only 4.5 years old, the on/off button completely disintegrated. The only button on the device made out of some sort of gumi, not even plastic. What's worse, Garmin is still operating, unlike Nokia, but refuse to repair the device, even though it's a well known problem, and a lot of users are affected. And that's not the only Garmin's flop when it comes to reliability. A small off topic rant on my side. Sorry, will stop now.:)

Thanks for your reply,

I am really glad that you have shared your story with us dude, My device has what you said the button is stuck inside once it is pressed and would not come back again to press it again, I would not work or function. As per your Garmin Device which I did not use in my life. I do not know why NOKIA is producing a device with low quality parts where it will malfunction after a while. considering Nokia N900 and it's built. This monster is way better than Nokia N9 regardless the low specification under the hood, it still working like a charm with full power.

fdanis 2022-06-04 10:24

Hi all,

I suffer a similar problem with my N9, the power and volume buttons do not work any more, nothing happens when I try them.
Unfortunately my N9 shutdown due to battery shortage and when I connect it to a power source it only shows the "battery charging" icon (a battery with a plug inside) but does not boot.

Is there a way to force it to start?

salahkhani 2022-06-06 16:12

Hello,
I want to tell you something, the quality built of Nokia N9 is not as good as Nokia N900. Considering buttons dissolve inside on the long run. I had all NOKIA devices and never faced anything like this. Only Nokia N9 the power button just dissolved and won't press.

Good Device, Bad Quality.

Just give your device a nice R I P like I did.

That's why I prefer Nokia N900 more.

setter 2022-06-07 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdanis (Post 1574204)
Hi all,

I suffer a similar problem with my N9, the power and volume buttons do not work any more, nothing happens when I try them.
Unfortunately my N9 shutdown due to battery shortage and when I connect it to a power source it only shows the "battery charging" icon (a battery with a plug inside) but does not boot.

Is there a way to force it to start?

You have to be patient. It takes quite a long time before it starts if the battery is completely discharged.

taraletti 2022-12-07 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macros (Post 1573401)
The N9 boots if you connect it to a power source, so you can carry a very small power bank with you and use it to boot the N9.

For shutdown you can just use the terminal or use the handy application PowerControl which gives you a icon that offers you the choice to reboot or shutdown.

How do I turn it on by plug it in. When the phone is off, it only goes to charging screen

Enviado desde mi moto g71 5G mediante Tapatalk

Danct12 2022-12-09 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by taraletti (Post 1574819)
How do I turn it on by plug it in. When the phone is off, it only goes to charging screen

You can try plug in and then immediately unplug when you see the Nokia logo. That is how I managed to get it to boot to OS.

For some funny reason, I have the same thing but when I moved house it fixed itself. I have no idea what happened, I put my phones all in the backpack that day.

taraletti 2022-12-09 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danct12 (Post 1574824)
You can try plug in and then immediately unplug when you see the Nokia logo. That is how I managed to get it to boot to OS.

For some funny reason, I have the same thing but when I moved house it fixed itself. I have no idea what happened, I put my phones all in the backpack that day.

Thanks a lot for the data

Maemish 2022-12-09 11:50

Yes, try if putting to a backpack or moving house helps.

Ruirui 2022-12-09 12:08

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I have same issues two times, replaced the back once. For the 2nd time I just cut the power button out (need to punk a hole a little larger than the button itself)

It works fine now with a "raw" button, please see the attached picture, I think there could be a flaw of the button design.

taraletti 2022-12-09 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruirui (Post 1574827)
Hi,

I have same issues two times, replaced the back once. For the 2nd time I just cut the power button out (need to punk a hole a little larger than the button itself)

It works fine now with a "raw" button, please see the attached picture, I think there could be a flaw of the button design.

Didn't work by plugin and unplug like suggestions. How to I take it out? Tweezers?

Danct12 2022-12-13 06:32

I think if there's enough juice the device should allow flasher to talk to the device, from there you can turn on R&D mode and force on mode when the cable is plugged in.

taraletti 2022-12-14 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danct12 (Post 1574840)
I think if there's enough juice the device should allow flasher to talk to the device, from there you can turn on R&D mode and force on mode when the cable is plugged in.

Thanks, but I didn't understand the last part. What is R&D mode and what is "force on mode"

aspergerguy 2022-12-17 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by taraletti (Post 1574846)
Thanks, but I didn't understand the last part. What is R&D mode and what is "force on mode"

See here:
https://wiki.maemo.org/R%2526D_mode

taraletti 2022-12-17 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspergerguy (Post 1574858)

Thanks

taraletti 2022-12-29 02:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspergerguy (Post 1574858)

I was reading at Nokia power user website and with this I didn't understand something. Doing this force, the phone would do a factory reset and I must reflash again the firmware? Another thing I've read is that appears to be that once you force the white lite of charging stays on

Danct12 2022-12-31 02:34

I think it does not, but if you force it then the LED will stuck on.