maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   OS2008 / Maemo 4 / Chinook - Diablo (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   SU-8W Keyboard Pairing - What's the Trick? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=15292)

abarrow 2008-01-18 11:58

SU-8W Keyboard Pairing - What's the Trick?

I've noted from searches that others have problems pairing their SU-8W keyboards and some do not. I upgraded my N800 a few days ago, and try as I might, I can't get it to pair with my keyboard.

Just please check my work:
1- Power up the keyboard
2- Run "Bluetooth Keyboard" from control panel
3- Select "Pair" (it finds the keyboard)
4- Select the keyboard, OK
5- N800 gives me a passcode. Type it on the keyboard with no function key, then hit enter
6- Tap OK

Over and over and over. Power the keyboard off and on, select the applet in different sequences. Still get "Pairing Failed".

Any ideas anyone? Is there any chance of some command line function that I might use, or perhaps a config file that I can just manually hack from Xterm?:confused:

Jerro 2008-01-18 12:01

Re: SU-8W Keyboard Pairing - What's the Trick?

You need to hit OK in the dialog _before_ you enter the code:

1- Power up the keyboard
2- Run "Bluetooth Keyboard" from control panel
3- Select "Pair" (it finds the keyboard)
4- Select the keyboard, OK
5- N800 gives me a passcode
6 - Press OK in the dialog
7 - Wait for the Fn led on the SU-8W to light up
8 - Enter the code on the keyboard (with no function key), hit enter
(9 - The dialog is automatically dismissed when you hit enter on the BT keyboard)

abarrow 2008-01-18 12:04

Ahhh, but when I do that, I get "Pairing Failed" immediately - it doesn't even wait half a second.

abby_normal 2008-01-18 12:04

Just a guess here. Try hitting "OK" after the Nokia gives you the passcode, THEN type the code on the keyboard and press "Enter". From your description of the sequenc you followed, it's not clear that the Nokia was "listening" for the pairing code when you typed it on the keyboard.

abarrow 2008-01-18 13:34

I guess I've got some sort of hardware or software problem, then. It is clearly logical that the system should wait for me to put in the passcode, but in my case the IT doesn't wait for it - it just goes immediately to "Pairing Failed".

Humm, now I need a way to troubleshoot...

Jerro 2008-01-18 14:09

Have you tried resetting the SU-8W, by pressing and holding the two blue keys at the right side (envelope and sync icons) for about 30 seconds until the leds at the top start to alternate (looks completely different from the regular short blinks you see when it's powered on or accepting a connection).

As you've previously paired the keyboard to the N800, the keyboard still remembers the N800's Bluetooth address and key but the N800 doesn't remember the keyboard after the reinstall, and this could cause some problems.

abarrow 2008-01-18 14:24

Thanks, that's good information to know!

Reset works as you described, but unfortunately still no joy on pairing.

Off to look in /etc for something that might look familiar

Mika73 2008-01-18 16:41

After nokia shows code at its screen. (+other information, you can change code/setting etc), you enter code with keyboard and press enter at keyboard many times..

It did work for me. I got few thanks so I guess it did work for others too :)

abarrow 2008-01-18 17:29

Sigh.... still nothing. Anyone want a keyboard?

I loaded hcidump and tried to see what the IT was seeing. Didn't help much.

Doubt this will change anything, but I'll run down to the shop and get new batteries. Since the keyboard is clearly found by the IT, and the LEDs work, I doubt this is the problem.

Mika73 2008-01-18 20:49

Some people have told that pairing would/might work, if you flash OS2008, dont restore backup and pair keyboard.

JayMontano 2008-01-18 21:21

Hey - this might sound obvious but have you guys tried turning the N800 off/on and then trying to pair (cp>BT keyboard?)

I had similar problems with the N800 pairing with the SU-W8 that's been posted here many times. (The other annoyance was that the N82 was somewhere in the room and kept pairing with it first)

abarrow 2008-01-18 22:36

Interesting idea, reflashing and not restoring from backup. Question is: What gets restored about the keyboard? Perhaps I can just go into the system and mess with those configuration files.

Incidentally, I tried editing /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf. There's a config item there that controls the way the Security Manager is used. Normal mode is "user". I tried setting that to "none", which the comments seem to indicate turn off security checking for bluetooth connection. The result was that my keyboard was never found in scanning.

I hope you guys can tell that this is going from an annoying bug to an interesting technical problem!

a_sharpe 2008-01-29 20:07

You need the function key on keyboard to put numbers in.;)

krisse 2008-01-29 22:43

The trick that I found worked for me was this:

1. Click OK

2. Hold down the FN button on the SU-8W

3. While still holding down FN, type the code numbers

4. Press enter on the keyboard

That worked for me pretty consistently, would be interested to know if it works for other people.

abarrow 2008-02-13 14:20

Re: SU-8W Keyboard Pairing - What's the Trick? - FIXED!!!

All,
I finally found a solution to my keyboard pairing problem.

It turns out that this is a known bug, listed here:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2640#c21

To save you searching through this bug to find the work around, here is what worked for me. Note that this worked for me after two tries, so YMMV:

- Open xterm and gainroot (I use ssh root@localhost)
- cd /var/lib/bluetooth
- rm -rf * (note that this will eliminate all deviced you have previously paired. If you have the MAC address of your keyboard, just delete that directory)
- Power off your N800. Remove the battery
- Go get a drink of water or something (wait a couple of minutes - this is probably supersition, but hey, isn't all technology?)
- Put the battery back in, power up. Also power up your keyboard.
- Pair from the Control Panel, as you would normally do.

If this doesn't work for you, try it again. It worked for me and for several people who reported the bug.

I hope this helps somebody. My N800 is finally useful for blogging again! (http://www.sailor.nu)

Andy

Eric S. Smith 2008-06-28 20:25

I can report that Andy's steps worked for me on my newly-flashed-to-Diablo N800. A reboot after you've nuked the contents of /var/lib/bluetooth/ is indeed required, but you don't have to pull the battery or go get a drink of water: just turn the tablet off and then power it right back up and carry on with his steps.

When re-pairing with my SU-8W, I found that there was an extra "Retrieving device name..." stage before it showed the keyboard in the list of pairable devices. I'm pretty sure that this is your first hint that things are working. The second hint is that it doesn't throw up "Pairing Failed" right away when you start pairing -- instead, the green "Fn" light comes on after a moment or two and then you can type in your sooper seekrit code and press Enter.

(Actually, the first hint that things are working is probably that the Bluetooth settings tool has forgotten your tablet's Bluetooth name, putting something generic in the "My device's name:" field.)

Smasher7 2020-11-01 16:01

A grateful thank from the last days of 2020, what a truly helpful post! ( ͡°ᴥ ͡° ʋ)