maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Games (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [OS2008] New Port: Jagged Alliance 2 Engine (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=16138)

ArnimS 2008-02-04 08:04

[OS2008] New Port: Jagged Alliance 2 Engine

Announcing a New Port by ukki!!

Jagged Alliance 2: Straciatella game engine!

http://pupnik.de/ja2.png.jpg

Requires original Jagged Alliance 2 game. Game Data takes up about 1GB of SD/MMC.

(edit)
updateddeb files
English http://pupnik.de/ja2_0.7_svn-2.deb UPDATE!
German http://pupnik.de/ja2_0.7_svn-de.deb
JA2 Homepage: http://www.jaggedalliance2.com/
Straciatella engine homepage: http://ja2.dragonriders.de/

(edit) The IMP code is blank.

yabbas 2008-02-04 09:09

Re: New Port: Jagged Alliance 2 Engine

There's just no stopping you is there? :D

spirytsick 2008-02-04 12:43

Where exactly do one put the game files ? Any specific folder ?

ukki 2008-02-04 13:37

Just put the game's data-directory to /media/mmc1/ja2data-directory (outer memory card). If you want to use some other path, just issue this command in xterm: echo "data_dir = /path/that/contains/datadir" > /home/user/.ja2/ja2.ini

pipeline 2008-02-04 14:24

Thanks ukki, any way to get this to work with the demo data?

(I tried but its looking for files not existing in demo data dir)

ukki 2008-02-04 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipeline (Post 137987)
Thanks ukki, any way to get this to work with the demo data?

(I tried but its looking for files not existing in demo data dir)

Sorry, but it doesn't look like the engine was designed for that. Can't see any build options for it either.

spirytsick 2008-02-04 20:11

Well, big thanks from me!! It works perfectly and the speed is absolutely fantastic. The mouse mapping is also first class!!! Thank You!!

ukki 2008-02-05 07:34

Don't thank me, thank the developers. I only compiled and packaged it. But you are right, the game is perfect for the tablet. You can finish the game without right mouse button; you just can't aim better without it. Enabling the actions menu during combat helps a lot with crouching and picking stuff up etc.
I talked to Tron (one of the developers) and he promised to add support for right mouse button for us.

Game runs on all tablets, but i guess non-n810 owners need the virtual keyboard from pupnik.de to finish the game. Saving works without keyboard.

spirytsick 2008-02-05 19:10

I know it's difficult but perhaps it would be possible to modify an on screen keyboard which is vertical rather than horizontal and is aligned with either left or right screen edge. It would make it less obstructive to the actual game screen.

ukki 2008-02-05 19:21

i think it's already possible, you can create your own layouts.

spirytsick 2008-02-05 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukki (Post 138650)
i think it's already possible, you can create your own layouts.

Thanks I will Investigate it!

LordFu 2008-02-05 22:37

Thanks! I love JA!!!

ArnimS 2008-02-06 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirytsick (Post 138691)
Thanks I will Investigate it!

Smothermuchie made a vertical keyboard layout for xkbd. Search ITT for it.

Pushwall 2008-02-06 02:19

Cool stuff! I'm off to buy the game and try this out. :cool:

NullPointer 2008-02-06 02:50

Holy crap! Now where'd I put those old Jagged Alliance disks....

(Thanks for the port!)

ukki 2008-02-06 14:54

Sorry guys, I didn't remember that virtual keyboard doesn't work with fullscreen sdl apps. Game is still playable without it, but i'm not sure you can actually finish the game without it. Need to look into that more.

CyberCat 2008-02-06 17:38

This looks awesome, just have to get the game. :D

Does anybody know if the steam version will work?

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v...ame&AppId=1620

ukki 2008-02-06 18:59

Yes, it should work with that.

CyberCat 2008-02-06 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukki (Post 139080)

Ok, thanks! I think I'll try and bum a copy off a friend first and if not I'll check out the steam version. Looks like another sweet addition to the tablet game collection!

I think we should get an (un)official list of games that have been ported over to maemo along with links to their .debs and instructions, maybe in a new thread or on the wiki.

ukki 2008-02-06 21:40

Ok, here's a quick new release (first post updated). I noticed xkbd somewhat works with the game. You just need to use the shift (^-key) to type uppercase letters. Numbers don't work, so i changed the I.M.P code in the game from xep624 to just xep. So now non-n810 owners should be able to access it. I also modified the startup script to start xkbd with the game if it's installed and you have a 770 or N800 tablet. It uses the layout arnims mentioned earlier. I bundled it with the game. N810 owners should probably use the package posted earlier. Report problems if you have them.

Update: xkbd doesn't seem to work with the 770 :(

spirytsick 2008-02-06 22:36

Ukki, thank you very much once more. It works great with the vertical keyboard and plays much more comfortably. I did not notice any problem with the game being full screen and the keyboard working. Perfecto!

NullPointer 2008-02-06 23:03

I got it running last night, great job!

I dont have any audio though...is it supposed to be working or isn't audio supported in this version?

spirytsick 2008-02-06 23:11

Audio works perfectly for me. Speech and music plus all click and gui effects in the game.

bexley 2008-02-06 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukki (Post 139080)

So it doesn't have to be the retail package released for Linux?

NullPointer 2008-02-07 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirytsick (Post 139188)
Audio works perfectly for me. Speech and music plus all click and gui effects in the game.

Hmmm, I wonder what's wrong then. I get the standard maemo "clicks" when I touch the screen, but that's it.

Can anyone recommend where I can start debugging this? it's just not the same without sound.

(to the other poster, yes the windows data files work)

spirytsick 2008-02-07 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by NullPointer (Post 139208)
Hmmm, I wonder what's wrong then. I get the standard maemo "clicks" when I touch the screen, but that's it.

Can anyone recommend where I can start debugging this? it's just not the same without sound.

(to the other poster, yes the windows data files work)

Perhaps there is something wrong with the version of the Jagged Game Files you are using. Check. There are dozens of pirate copies floating around with various bits ripped out.

NullPointer 2008-02-07 01:23

Had to go digging through boxes for the original game CDs and that did it. Thanks for the tip.

ukki 2008-02-07 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by bexley (Post 139195)
So it doesn't have to be the retail package released for Linux?

No, Windows version works too.

CyberCat 2008-02-07 08:52

Well it seems to run fine for me. Speed is good and controls seem to be adequate, although I only played for a few minutes. :D

I did have a problem running it though, the shortcut installed doesn't work for me. The window just pops up and disappears real quick with no error. Same when run from the console. Works fine when run from the console under root. Hopefully that can be fixed soon, other than that minor issue (could be show stopper for some though) great game!

ukki 2008-02-07 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCat (Post 139319)
I did have a problem running it though, the shortcut installed doesn't work for me. The window just pops up and disappears real quick with no error. Same when run from the console. Works fine when run from the console under root. Hopefully that can be fixed soon, other than that minor issue (could be show stopper for some though) great game!

Can you post the error message you get when you run it from a console? Try starting it with a command 'jagged'. I suspect there's something wrong with your /home/user/.ja2/ja2.ini or maybe the permissions on /home/user/.ja2 directory are incorrect.

theimann 2008-02-07 15:55

Ukki, thank you so much. JA2 is one of my all-time-favorites.

Unfortunately I have one problem:
I cannot access the "AIM" Website, more specifically I can access the main page but the four buttons at the bottom (members/rules/history/links) do not work for me. The only way for me to play is to generate my own soldier (with the xep... code).

I am using german data files; I tried the Windows Straciatella binary and everything worked.

I thought about generating a (windows) savegame and then resume the game on my n800, but the savegame won't be accepted.

Every hint is appreciated. And again: Thank you so much!

P.S.: I have the N800 tablet. The rest of the game works fine.

ukki 2008-02-07 16:50

That's odd, they should work normally. Game is compiled for english language, so maybe it doesn't do anything because you are missing the data files? Can you try with english data files? I can compile a german version too if you want.

CyberCat 2008-02-07 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukki (Post 139324)
Can you post the error message you get when you run it from a console? Try starting it with a command 'jagged'. I suspect there's something wrong with your /home/user/.ja2/ja2.ini or maybe the permissions on /home/user/.ja2 directory are incorrect.

When run NOT as root from the console "ja2" there are no error messages:

~ $ ja2
~ $

Same with jagged, the window pops up for about 2 frames and then it's gone, like I said. It's kind of curious, huh?

The FIRST time I tried to run it, it had an error, I think (can't remember now) that it was something like unable to make ~/.ja2/Data, so I ran as root, fixed that error.

EDIT: Hehe, well I got to thinking that it's likely the problem is because Data and ja2.ini are owned by root. Unforuntely I can't change the owner because "there's not enough space left on device". (there's only 1KB of space left :eek:)

spirytsick 2008-02-07 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCat (Post 139444)
When run NOT as root from the console "ja2" there are no error messages:

~ $ ja2
~ $

Same with jagged, the window pops up for about 2 frames and then it's gone, like I said. It's kind of curious, huh?

The FIRST time I tried to run it, it had an error, I think (can't remember now) that it was something like unable to make ~/.ja2/Data, so I ran as root, fixed that error.

EDIT: Hehe, well I got to thinking that it's likely the problem is because Data and ja2.ini are owned by root. Unforuntely I can't change the owner because "there's not enough space left on device". (there's only 1KB of space left :eek:)

Perhaps lack of space for some temp files is causing that.

theimann 2008-02-07 17:20

Ukki, thanks for you reply. I guess the error is related to the german data files. I used the german straciatella binary for windows, that's probably why the error didn't occur there.

Would it be possible for you to compile a german binary for the IT? Thanks a million - I do not know how to obtain english data files.

If it's too much trouble I won't be worried - fighting Deidranna only with my self-created soldier still is so much fun on the N800 :)

CyberCat 2008-02-07 17:34

Ok, I manged to free up some space. It's weird, once you get such low space, you can't even UNinstall stuff! :eek: That's pretty poor design in my opinion.

Anyway, I changed the owners to user for Data and Da2.set NOW it launches from the shortcut and ja2 under user but it gives the following error:

===> sgp/FileMan.c:456: EraseDirectory() is not implemented
Aborted

Looks like we need more functions! :D

ukki 2008-02-07 18:04

@theimann
It's no trouble to compile a german binary, I'll do it tonight.

CyberCat 2008-02-07 18:49

Good news! I got it to work under the normal user. I just had to set full access permission to everything in ~/.ja2/* kind of a pain, but it works any way so I'm happy. Looks like a great game too!

How I wonder how long it will be until we get StarCraft on the tablets! Blizzard just released a No-CD update for StarCraft today, good times! :D

ukki 2008-02-07 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCat (Post 139483)
Good news! I got it to work under the normal user. I just had to set full access permission to everything in ~/.ja2/* kind of a pain, but it works any way so I'm happy. Looks like a great game too!

Did you mess around as root? My install script should create that dir and the ini-file and chown it to user, so there shouldn't be any permission problems unless the game creates them as root user.

bexley 2008-02-07 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukki (Post 137965)
Just put the game's data-directory to /media/mmc1/ja2data-directory (outer memory card). If you want to use some other path, just issue this command in xterm: echo "data_dir = /path/that/contains/datadir" > /home/user/.ja2/ja2.ini

The only /data folder I found was on the 2nd CD in the /install folder. Is this the one? It's only 312mb and I thought I read that the data is about 1GB.

Or do I have to install the game on my PC to get the /data folder I'm looking for?