maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Customize N900 Conversations (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36618)

joshua.maverick 2009-12-10 19:26

Customize N900 Conversations

Someone mentioned it was possible to edit the html/css, how would i go about finding these files to edit?

I'd like to have my messages alternate so that my messages are left aligned and my buddies are right aligned, i.e.

Blah Blah Blah : Buddy Avatar
You: Blah blah blah

brog 2009-12-10 19:31

Re: Customize N900 Conversations

I'd like that, too!
Is there any way to do it?

joshua.maverick 2009-12-10 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by brog (Post 421419)
I'd like that, too!
Is there any way to do it?

Maybe we can put it in brainstorm?

andrewfblack 2009-12-10 20:57

try looking here should be what your looking for

/usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html

let me know if it works I would like to see it.

joshua.maverick 2009-12-10 21:09

Hrm, how would I go about accessing those from the sdk?

andrewfblack 2009-12-10 21:18

1 Attachment(s)
don't know if you can do you have a n900 yet?

This is something I did as a test, its moves avatar for sms to right I am going to try and add my avatar to sms as well since its not there by default. Also I will make the avatars on IM message alternate. with Your avatar on left and other persons on right.

Edit: Went back and blurred my conversation.

joshua.maverick 2009-12-10 22:02

Very cool, are you able to remove the username from the message too, since we see the name at the top and also have an avatar now?

andrewfblack 2009-12-11 13:18

I can remove the name havn't tried adding my avatar. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll edit it.

ruskie 2009-12-12 22:24

Hmm nice... I'd like to make my look like an irc session(i.e. irssi like)... Will need to look into this. :)

kore 2009-12-12 22:38

Wouldn't this be a great idea for a little app, allowing the user to choose from a bunch of preconfigured layouts/designs/themes? I guess most users' knowledge of css (if that's what you do that with) isn't good enough to perform such layout work.

andrewfblack 2009-12-13 05:30

there are 2 files for each type of conversation 1 html file filled with divs you can rearrange and 1 css file that holds margins and such.

joshua.maverick 2009-12-19 18:50

I got my woman/phone, how do I set this up sir?!

joshua.maverick 2009-12-20 05:57

Also can i edit those files right from the device? is there a text editor i can use to access/open those files?

joshua.maverick 2010-01-09 02:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewfblack (Post 421583)
try looking here should be what your looking for

/usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html

let me know if it works I would like to see it.

How do I get to this? :S I tried file manager, no dice.

Bingley Joe 2010-01-17 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewfblack (Post 422720)
I can remove the name havn't tried adding my avatar. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll edit it.

Where are the avatars stored? I'd like to add mine, but don't really want it hanging around in my Documents folder..

EDIT: I'd also like for Conversations to display my Screen Name instead of my [AIM] account name, but can't seem to get it to do that.. I've got a Screen Name set in my Account prefs, but it seems to do nothing.

I then went and edited /home/user/.rtcomm-accounts/accounts.cfg

The Screen Name set in prefs shows up under a field called 'Nickname'

There are also fields called 'DisplayName' - which was blank - and 'NormalizedName' - which contained my account name..

I added my preferred Screen Name to both, but no dice -- Conversations still shows my AIM account name in an IM window.

Any ideas?

Jaffa 2010-01-17 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingley Joe (Post 478405)
Where are the avatars stored? I'd like to add mine, but don't really want it hanging around in my Documents folder..

If you select your avatars from a file, the file is no longer needed - a copy is taken into one of ~/.osso-abook/avatars or ~/.osso-abook/photos depending on type.

Bingley Joe 2010-01-17 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa (Post 478787)
If you select your avatars from a file, the file is no longer needed - a copy is taken into one of ~/.osso-abook/avatars or ~/.osso-abook/photos depending on type.

OK, good to know -- thanks :)

b666m 2010-01-18 02:02

i played little bit with the three files and was able to move around the objects.

sadly, i didn't get my avatar to appear with changing "MessagingWidgetsSMSConversation" hmtl and js. only got one black rectangle with a border.
it didn't matter if i set the path to image directly or added some lines for "self" setting the missing properties - even tried some code from the ChatConversation.js - nothing.
but i have to say that my coding is rather noobish - never learned js.

mhm... maybe they don't show the avatar in the sms window because they can't *laugh*

if anyone of you gets the own avatar showing up - please describe how you did it. (modding and uploading the file is not permitted according to the files first lines)

one more thing:
in these files there are so many comments like "FIXME" or "request". seems for me that they hadn't enough time to set it up properly...

F2thaK 2010-01-18 02:14

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewfblack (Post 421632)
don't know if you can do you have a n900 yet?

This is something I did as a test, its moves avatar for sms to right I am going to try and add my avatar to sms as well since its not there by default. Also I will make the avatars on IM message alternate. with Your avatar on left and other persons on right.

Edit: Went back and blurred my conversation.

how do you do this?? plus an avatar for "you" would make this perfect!

salah99 2010-01-18 03:04

I like the idea

b666m 2010-01-18 04:28

1 Attachment(s)
WTF...

i tested a bit and got my picture working.... ok... not fully... it was way to big for this little box and i could only see the top left corner...
i closed the conversation-window, opened it again and i had a black box again... -.-'

btw:
are the pics of your contacts in the sms history also too small for the box?
i see the picture of the contact, but right and below there starts the picture again?!
(... already mentioned above that i think this is not well programmed)

EDIT: omg... the pics in the osso-photos folder are 144x144 px and the aren't resized... that's why i only got one piece of the cake ^^

does anyone know where the conversation-app gets the pics from?

EDIT2: made it! (but look at my friend's avatar - it's not sized correctly - maybe there is a css-alignment command)

EDIT3: i don't get it... resizing the image over css works in singleSMS but doesn't seem to work in smsConversation - hmpf :/

senaidbp 2010-01-18 15:30

I have problem with my conversations when I open skype conversation it does not show anything,but I hear sound for incoming messages. Anybody have same problem?
Please help?

jean2323 2010-01-18 20:17

i see you all experts , and you know how to edit this file:

/home/user/.rtcomm-accounts/accounts.cfg

i keep trying to edit my sip preferences to add a caller id field to be sent while dialling

on my n82 nokia, this field is called "public user name" and the value is "sip:something@voipservice.com"

in my case "something" would be my mobile phone #

i'd be grateful for some help!!

alliswell 2010-01-19 00:13

I'd like to move the avatar from the sender to the right. it makes stuff easier to see =)

Blobster2k 2010-01-19 00:24

I know there might be an answer to this one - but I really don't know what to search for in the forums.
I just want to be able to tell which number I have saved against a contact was just used to txt/call me from! lol

joshua.maverick 2010-01-19 15:05

Can someone put a guide for dummies on how to edit those files. I can't seem to get to that path via pc, or file manager.

jean2323 2010-01-19 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshua.maverick (Post 482080)
Can someone put a guide for dummies on how to edit those files. I can't seem to get to that path via pc, or file manager.

in terminal ... use vi :D
use sudo gainroot
find the file and use vi to view it and edit it

xgrind 2010-01-22 06:01

What's the name of the file to edit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jean2323 (Post 482584)
in terminal ... use vi :D
use sudo gainroot
find the file and use vi to view it and edit it

vietn900 2010-01-22 06:06

well if you guys can have it rotate in portrait mode + virtual qwerty/T9 so i can text with one hand while walking would be great! :D :p

manjingo 2010-01-22 06:20

Anyone have any idea hwo to change the font that's used in conversations? There are two variables "SystemFont" and "SmallSystemFont", but I can't seem to find a connection to anything.

kh_naba 2010-01-22 10:47

Hello all,

I am part of the real-time communication team and conversations is part of our project. It's good to see people interested in customizing conversation view. The html/css files mentioned above are indeed meant to make it flexible to change.

In upcoming update to N900 there will be theming possiblity for chat conversation view and the smileys. Anyone can then easily write custom themes and upload to maemo-extras. Same goes for smiley themes. We will provide some documentation and examples at some point when the update is released which should make it easy to create new one.

However, sms conversation view is not themeable by above theming support (although still possible to hack like above). It can only theme chat conversation views. We felt that sms conversation view should remain in line with system theme rather than specific IM theming, while IM theming is offered mostly for amusement during chatting.

b666m 2010-01-22 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by kh_naba (Post 488389)
Hello all,

I am part of the real-time communication team and conversations is part of our project. It's good to see people interested in customizing conversation view. The html/css files mentioned above are indeed meant to make it flexible to change.

hi, and thank you very much for answering my email and posting here! :)

i have three questions:

1. in the css-file of the SMSConversation the auto-sizing to 64x64 of the contacts' pictures doesn't work properly. it seems like the picture is starting at the right side and bottom again?! (but the exact same code is working for the singleSMS avatar which is 80x80?!)

2. where are the pictures stored in? (copies are under ~/.osso-abook/photos/ with 144x144 as far as i remember)

3. how does an absolute path have to look like in the .js-file when it's included in the url('...') command? (neither file:///home/user/.osso... nor /home/user/.osso... worked for me)

thx :)

b666m 2010-01-22 13:48

2 Attachment(s)
and here are the three files for my mod and a short how-to:

(0. make a backup of the original files! ^^)
1. place a picture with 60x60 in /usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html/ named "avatar.png"
2. replace the three files (html, css, js) in the same folder with my modded files

i tried for about one hour to get absolute paths to work but it doesn't seem to work. so i had to place the png in the html-folder.
also the method which is used for fetching the pictures of the contacts doesn't seem to work for the own avatar - and it's not clickable too. ^^

Haus3r 2010-01-22 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by b666m (Post 488625)

1. place a picture with 64x64 in /usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html/ named "avatar.png"
2. replace the three files (html, css, js) in the same folder with my modded files

i tried for about one hour to get absolute paths to work but it doesn't seem to work. so i had to place the png in the html-folder.
also the method which is used for fetching the pictures of the contacts doesn't seem to work for the own avatar - and it's not clickable too. ^^

Looks great :) But if you observe your UI more closely you will notice that it does have one major flaw which will cause your eyes to tire really quickly:

Your picture and the picture of the person on the other end of the conversation are on two opposing sides. Since that moves the beginning of each new line of conversation further to the left / to the right, it causes your eyes to jump between left and right constantly which I find really annoying. :( It's not by far I know, but it still bugs me.

One solution would be to align all avatars on the left?...

b666m 2010-01-22 14:11

1 Attachment(s)
for you an edited html-file with both avatars on the same side (left) ^^

btw: editing html- and css-files isn't that hard. you can easily do it by yourself. just pay attention to where one block begins <div> and ends </div>. you can move this blocks nearly free around.

if the spaces between don't fit, you can align them in the css-file. just look at the names in the css and html. these are the same as you can see. and now you know which block in the css belongs to which block in the html.

happy editing. :)

Haus3r 2010-01-22 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by b666m (Post 488677)
for you an edited html-file with both avatars on the same side (left) ^^

Haha - genius :D:D Thanks my friend! Don't get my wrong, I wasn't trying to seriously scrutinise your thoughts here, it was aaall constructive criticism :)

leetut 2010-01-22 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by b666m (Post 488625)

1. place a picture with 64x64 in /usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html/ named "avatar.png"

yippee! this mod rocks bro, cheers!:)

b666m 2010-01-22 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haus3r (Post 488683)
Haha - genius :D:D Thanks my friend! Don't get my wrong, I wasn't trying to seriously scrutinise your thoughts here, it was aaall constructive criticism :)

hehe, no problem :)

i did this avatar-left-right-thingy only to see how this is done.
... and some people in this thread mentioned that it would be cool this way. ^^

the hardest part was to get the own avatar working. too bad that i didn't get the paths working and had to move one avatar in the html-folder. :/

b666m 2010-01-22 15:57

3 Attachment(s)
lalala :D
new layout:

EDIT: you have to download the SMSconversation.zip from one of my posts above too. ^^

EDIT2: there's a small bug (or feature xD) which moves the contact's bubble to the left while beeing clicked - sms_css.zip will fix that. ;)
(so download the first file only if you want to have a look at the bubble moving around when beeing clicked ^^)

b666m 2010-01-22 17:39

any proposals for other modifications to the window? :)