maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Nokia to return to the smartphone market in 2017 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98331)

Ariadeno 2016-11-19 00:32

Nokia to return to the smartphone market in 2017

Quote:

Nokia will be back to Smartphones only in 2017, confirms official Slide

We earlier reported about the first global launch ad campaign for Nokia Smartphones to roll-out in 2017. A senior Microsoft executive had also confirmed that Nokia Android smartphones are due in early Q2 2017.

Now an official slide from Nokia’s Capital Markets Day presentation confirms Nokia’s return to smartphones in 2017. Check the Slide above which clearly mentions that Nokia will return to smartphones only in 2017. It also seems we can expect Nokia unveiling Android Phones and Tablets at MWC 2017.

We exclusively reported about two high-end Nokia Android Nougat Phones in works as a part of upcoming Nokia Android portfolio. Later mid-ranger Nokia D1C appeared in many leaks and you can read about it by clicking here.
https://ic.tweakimg.net/ext/i/imagen...2001309259.png

http://nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-will...fficial-slide/

chenliangchen 2016-11-19 01:24

Re: Nokia to return to the smartphone market in 2017

I thougt this was from Foxkia...

bingomion 2016-11-19 01:50

ahaha foxkia just like the ifox and the samfox

juiceme 2016-11-19 08:50

Nothing to see hers folks: It stll says "Nokia brand return to smartphones"

kinggo 2016-11-19 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1519022)
Nothing to see hers folks: It stll says "Nokia with android return to smartphones"

This sounds more relevant......

HtheB 2016-11-19 09:51

As long as they will deliver high end slide-out landscape qwerty smartphones, I'm happy

kinggo 2016-11-19 10:22

..... With 5.5" and sailfish on it :D

peterleinchen 2016-11-19 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1519027)
As long as they will deliver high end slide-out landscape qwerty smartphones, I'm happy

Yes, BUT:
with Android as underlying data squid/leech?
Nope, thanks.

pichlo 2016-11-19 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1519028)
..... With 5.5" and sailfish on it :D

I think you've misspelled 4.5 and Maemo :p

tortoisedoc 2016-11-19 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1519036)

Nah, SFOS, cant put Maemo on Android :)

m4r0v3r 2016-11-20 01:01

if it has android then it can have cm, and if it has cm then it can have sfos

kinggo 2016-11-20 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1519036)

OK, I'm fine with OS but I'll stick with 5.5".

meet.vino 2016-11-20 04:17

A Nokia with size of a N9 running SFOS...

Ridd92 2016-11-20 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by meet.vino (Post 1519057)
A Nokia with size of a N9 running SFOS...

Yeah, that is something I need, but I will add qwerty to it :)

and also I wouldn't be so enthusiastic about the nokia returning to smartphones market. This is not the same as nokia till 2011. It looks like it will be another Samsung-like marketing, create yet another 16core phone, put android on it and sell it and be sure it will break in year or so.

in another words THIS IS NOT THE CASE OF OUR COMMUNITY, IT'S NOT WHAT COMMUNITY WOULD HAVE WANTED!

Nokia already turn her back on us, I think now is the time to grow up and turn on nokia with our asses naked.

We sholud be more intrested in another projects that continues maemo tradition, we already have Jolla's devices, have neo900 coming our way and still (we) haven't reach the point where we made most of our devices, maemo-line gadgets are still waiting to be pushed more :)

www.rzr.online.fr 2016-11-20 17:19

So we should make a list for all customers that want nokia (or anyone) to produce (updated) N950 :-)

gerbick 2016-11-20 17:57

Nothing featured in this thread will happen. If it did happen, it won't sell in big enough numbers to warrant attention.

Now. Let's see if Nokia proves me wrong.

ibrakalifa 2016-11-21 01:49

A MeeGo with SD821 and 4gb of RAM, ah what a beautiful dream, let me sleep again.

optimaxxx 2016-11-22 15:23

Came here just to post this, I guess at the very least we'll be able to see how wrong Microsoft really was.

Fwiw, I'm now using an Android for work running the Nokia labs home screen, and I have complete faith that a Nokia designed and service-equipped Android would easily overtake Samsung as top dog. Here's hoping they don't faff up Nokia's last chance to be relevant

bandora 2016-11-22 15:57

The old Nokia hardware (quality) that we know and love isn't coming back. However, I'm looking forward for their designs, that's something that I've missed (hoping that they'll bring back some cool designs that they've had in the past).

On the other hand, although Android is pretty good, I wish they'd release a phone that's Mer flavoured! (Most probably won't happen though).

Win7Mac 2016-12-02 01:35

HMD officially takes over the Nokia phone business (article on gsmarena.com)
Quote:

Starting today, HMD Global Oy is now the home of Nokia phones and tablets. The exclusive license extends 10 years forward and covers the whole world (sans Japan). Nokia, the company, will receive royalty payments for Nokia-branded products made by HMD (for both the name and for the intellectual property used).

It’s important to note that Nokia, the company, is not an investor or a shareholder in HMD. That said, HMD is a Finish company and there’s one Nokia representative on its Board of Directors. Also, FIH Mobile (a Foxconn subsidiary) will be making Nokia-branded feature phones.

This leaves HMD to focus on the Android-powered side of things. The site nokia.com/phones (operated by HMD) promises new smartphones coming in 2017. You can sign up to be notified by email for new developments.

The site currently lists a number of Nokia feature phones, which used to be manufactured by Microsoft, until the company unloaded the factories to Foxconn (technically, to FIH).
So unfortunately, nothing new to see here.
OTOH, you may prefer to keep on believing...

Veraendert 2016-12-02 11:47

Thing is- the market is rather crowded nowadays. Producing a device dual booting Android & Meego/Sailfish might not be that stupid after all. Of course this won't happen, but there have been ideas that were a lot more stupid.

hardy_magnus 2016-12-02 13:27

That's interesting
"HMD Global was created six months ago explicitly for the purpose of creating Nokia phones. HMD is still a Finnish company, and 16 of the 17 executives on HMD's "Team" page are former Nokia employees".
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...oming-in-2017/

gerbick 2016-12-03 15:10

The fact these new devices will be Android based means it'll be of no use to the majority here.

aegis 2016-12-03 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1519908)
The fact these new devices will be Android based means it'll be of no use to the majority here.

Not sure how you work that out. I would think the majority of people have an Android or iOS phone for practicality reasons. Plus if the new Nokia devices are well designed then they'd beer possible donor devices for other OS installs.

gerbick 2016-12-03 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegis (Post 1519931)
Not sure how you work that out. I would think the majority of people have an Android or iOS phone for practicality reasons. Plus if the new Nokia devices are well designed then they'd beer possible donor devices for other OS installs.

I figured that out by the outright disdain for Android that's exhibited in this forum ad nauseum.

Folks here were/are up in arms about Sailfish having Android and the rampant "I'll never run it" mantra from key members, albeit somewhat grating, is oft repeated.

I don't think that it's exaggerated at all.

juiceme 2016-12-03 21:04

Of course Android has its uses, if it didn't it would not sell so much.
For myself it is just an useful component providing hardware adaptation libraries for devices.

I have to grant it is wonderful that Android is so abundant; Imagine if all devices were WP/iOS, it would be absolutely impossible to port any decent OS to those devices.

aegis 2016-12-03 23:19

Don't get me wrong, I have outright disdain for Android too. Unfortunately it's the only workable OS just now.

gerbick 2016-12-04 02:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegis (Post 1519952)
Don't get me wrong, I have outright disdain for Android too. Unfortunately it's the only workable OS just now.

And that just sounds like settling*

*Note: I'm having to use an iPhone and iPad for creative and work purposes now. I know a shitload about "settling"... ugh.

mosen 2016-12-04 11:03

Out of curiosity.
From your all estimate, how likely is it or what would need to happen that HMD offers dualboot option android/sailfish ?

Given they are ex-nokians as i read, maybe they have a sentimental vein Jolla could tap somehow :p

Like "hey, sent us a prototype and we will adapt SFOS free of charge just for the major exposure, reach and bilateral heartwarming PR story?"

aegis 2016-12-04 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1519956)
And that just sounds like settling*

*Note: I'm having to use an iPhone and iPad for creative and work purposes now. I know a shitload about "settling"... ugh.

In that it's the only one I've found that has an acceptable mix of features and apps I need, decent relatively inexpensive hardware versus the pain of an ugly UI.

Yep, settling. If we had more decent options then it would be a choice rather than a compromise.

Android_808 2016-12-04 12:26

android or not it doesn't matter to me. I support Jolla based on the number of ex maemo/nokia people involved who I feel would still be @ nokia, working away on a meego or meego derived platform, if it had not been for elop. with how good the n9 was, imagine where we could be now...

we will have to wait and see what the new venture brings. will we see a company trying to bring nokia back as a name to rival samsung and apple, pushing new tech features the way devices like the N95, N900 and N9 did or someone happy chucking out mid range reasonable devices following the pack.

if they're well built and the os or a custom image is usable with libhybris it opens up possibilites, same for any device. fremantle-gtk3 is currently sticking with matchbox but if matchbox or a future replacement supports wayland it could mean a fremantle/hildon based system.

meego_leenooks1 2016-12-04 18:05

Anyway it won't be the Nokia we knew before.
https://youtu.be/J-ugejUno9U?t=2m13s

railroadmaster 2016-12-04 20:39

These new devices could Probably be hacked to run Sailfish, Tizen or Ubuntu.

gerbick 2016-12-04 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by railroadmaster (Post 1520003)
These new devices could Probably be hacked to run Sailfish, Tizen or Ubuntu.

So wait until the community can get things running smoothly, like what had to happen on the 3+ year old Nexus 5?

theonelaw 2016-12-05 01:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegis (Post 1519931)

It is only by being forced to use one,
and that market coercion only flings fuel on the fire.
I am still concerned about the security flaws android has
are too serious to even use continuously.
For anyone who crosses borders for a living Android is a risk.

mosen 2016-12-17 14:23

Just to answer myself regarding HMD/Jolla cooperation, hmd is focusing on "cheap-feature-phone-1-month-batterylife" market as it looks. So no "need" for SFOS on theyr end for now.

Quite smart to pick up the segment where Nokia was strongest until the end, isn't it?

juiceme 2016-12-17 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1520654)
Just to answer myself regarding HMD/Jolla cooperation, hmd is focusing on "cheap-feature-phone-1-month-batterylife" market as it looks. So no "need" for SFOS on theyr end for now.

And no need for Android either, which is a smart move by itself. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1520654)
Quite smart to pick up the segment where Nokia was strongest until the end, isn't it?

Yes, there is a lot of demand for featurephones in the world, people in richer countries just somehow play this down in favour of the so called smartphones.

pichlo 2016-12-17 17:18

Indeed. OTOH, $26 seems a bit too much. You can buy cheap pay-as-you-go phones here for £9.99. Admittedly those are phone (and probably SMS) only, no features.

If I could get a cheap phone with Bluetooth (for hands-free use in the car) that could be used as a mobile hotspot, I would go for it in an instant. No other features required.

hardy_magnus 2016-12-19 16:28

http://m.gsmarena.com/two_nokia_flag...news-22242.php