maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Will Sprint Subscription for Pre likely xfer to N900? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30319)

BruceL 2009-07-16 15:42

Will Sprint Subscription for Pre likely xfer to N900?

I'm thinking about getting a palm pre with the two year agreement; then when the N900 comes out (if it does), I will use the sim-card from the pre in the N900. What are the odds this will work? Or that I could hack it to work.

Bruce

timsamoff 2009-07-16 15:49

Re: Will Sprint Subscription for Pre likely xfer to N900?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceL (Post 304930)
I'm thinking about getting a palm pre with the two year agreement; then when the N900 comes out (if it does), I will use the sim-card from the pre in the N900. What are the odds this will work? Or that I could hack it to work.

Bruce

If Nokia decides to go with Sprint as the carrier -- and, the next device actually allows for SIM technology -- then it should be possible. But, if they choose to sign with AT&T or T-Mobile (etc.), then it wouldn't be possible unless you were able to find an unlocked devices (which would be even more expensive than going with a carrier).

Tim

quipper8 2009-07-16 15:54

cdma phones such as the palm pre do not have SIM cards.

The n900 will most likely be GSM if it has a cellular radio at all and in the US that means either ATT or T-mobile. Sprint and Verizon are CDMA. I don't know of any higher end Nokia phones that are cdma.

ARJWright 2009-07-16 15:54

There is no SIM card in the Sprint version of the Palm Pre. Also, all Sprint devices are required to have an unlimited data plan pn top of a qualifying voice plan (this is as of a few months ago).

Currently in the US, your only SIM options on the national scale are TMobile and ATT; regional carriers may offer some better benefits if you aren't the type to travel out of a service area very often (their roaming rates are killer).

timsamoff 2009-07-16 16:17

Although, like I said, there may be an unlocked version of the device -- most likely targeted at European users. It may be a viable option for this.

Tim

quipper8 2009-07-16 17:18

there is supposed to *eventually* be a palm pre GSM version. You can follow the speculation here

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ions-here.html

BruceL 2009-07-16 17:25

What is involved in unlocking a phone? Given the hacker community here might we figure out how to unlock them easily?

Also, Tim, an unlocked N900 still would be able to do CDMA, no?

GeneralAntilles 2009-07-16 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceL (Post 304948)
Also, Tim, an unlocked N900 still would be able to do CDMA, no?

No.

All of the answers to anything about Pre/N900 plan transferability are no. The Pre is a CDMA phone which does not have a SIM card, the N900 (assuming . . ., etc.) will be GSM and utilize a SIM card. It is not compatible with Sprint's network.

This is a dead end.

sjgadsby 2009-07-16 17:57

The only "Sprint" devices that use SIM cards are Nextel & Boost iDEN phones, and those phones (and their SIMs) are incompatible with all of the above.

Benson 2009-07-16 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARJWright (Post 304934)
Currently in the US, your only SIM options on the national scale are TMobile and ATT; regional carriers may offer some better benefits if you aren't the type to travel out of a service area very often (their roaming rates are killer).

Not necessarily; around here Centennial is/was quite a reputable player, and they have/had nationwide free roaming plans at quite competitive prices, besides having the best coverage in the (local) boonies.

Of course, last I heard, AT&T was in the process of buying them out, though I'm not 100% sure if it went through or not. Guess that's what happens when you treat your customers right.