View Single Post
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
Finally heard about my N900. It was damaged so bad that I gget a new unit. Because they didn't have any N900s on stock, they offered me a free N8 but i denied and said that only N900 or N9 will do. Have they done this to anyone else? : O
Hey Mowgli,

I'm working at an european ASC(authorised service center) and the thing is: the production of N900 units has come to an end and there are no devices left to order for us.

Nokia updated the N900 service bulletin recently and allows us to swap severely damaged N900s to either N8 or E7(btw, it's the same for the Nokia 8800). I wonder how the customers will react to this(we still have some swap units on stock), so far the 8800 guys weren't too happy.

I also have something to say about the whole usb port topic: wether your warranty is kept intact is up to the service center. Yes, it's really that random. We usually tend to swap any N900 with a broken port while other ASC are more strict. It's a design flaw on one hand but also needs someone to actually break it on the other, so there's always room for debate and some ASC don't want to get in trouble(Nokia could reject the swap which means the ASC doesn't get paid + Nokia not beeing happy with your work is a big deal for the ASC). I for myself never had this problem with my own N900, maybe because I'm always extra careful with these fragile ports(not only with the N900).

If you have to deal with a broken port and the ASC doesn't want to help you I advise you to look for another ASC or a Nokia Care Point. Maybe another ASC is willing to confirm the warranty. At the NCPs you usually find rather capable people who can help you out with a good soldering job for a good price(Nokia also provides a service manual for the usb port issue)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WONDERMIKE For This Useful Post: