View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
SD69: I'm sorry that you think I am against "keeping maemo alive".

I will make my position clear. Please excuse my bluntness:

Firstly:

My main problem is that I don't think the 2011.2 council will be able to do much to prepare the Maemo infrastructure. It is clear that the Nokia / Nemien guys don't see any point in hurrying to do anything yet, and we can bustle around and make plans all we want, but they're of the opinion that we should wait a while (at least until summer 2012). I agree with them that we should wait a bit more, but also if we try to push them too hard, they'll just start passively resisting and dragging their heels, and our requests will get more and more shrill, and bad blood will develop...

You must remember, the council / community has no real power here. We're not paying anyone to do anything, the money is coming from Nokia, so we have to be very reasonable and persuasive, not demanding. We have to get them on our side, get them to see the merits of our position, otherwise we'll be talking to a blank wall.

I'm speaking from a position of several council terms' experience here. If the guys doing the infrastructure work don't agree with you, or don't want to do the work, they'll just ignore you or drag their heels. And who do you complain to if they're not doing what you say? It's not like there's an ombudsman out there to take the Maemo community's complaints...

Secondly:

I believe the future of Maemo depends upon actual developers doing actual development to continue the platform, not on a bunch of guys posting in a forum. The guys doing the actual work are doing it right now, and you can see the fruits of their labours in the CSSU, the N900 MeeGo CE and Cordia, plus a host of other, related projects like the Power Kernel and Enhanced BusyBox projects.

What will really matter in 12 months time is not the outcome of referendums, who is in the Council, or who has posted what in TMO, but the status of the projects I mentioned above.

If the key projects have lost momentum, and they've gone "stale", and the developers have gone on to more interesting platforms, then Maemo is dead, it is a museum artifact, whether or not we keep posting in this forum. If they are alive, and the remaining community is still clustered around them, then that community can better decide what they should do next.

Lastly:

I also believe that just because you have a strong opinion about how to save Maemo does not make you Maemo's savior. We all care, otherwise we wouldn't be here, so please don't try to make it sound like those who aren't in agreement with your ideas just want Maemo to die.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: