View Single Post
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@PMaff,

Given that the kernel and most programs/modules are open source, I would doubt that they contain any such rootkit-code. Of course I assume nobody has gone through the source code of all that, but I seriously doubt it would contain anything.

That leaves us with the closed modules/libraries/programs. But again, at least for the N900 somebody here would have noticed already if there was any suspicious activity going on. Keep in mind that many people around here are "constantly" looking at their N900 from the insides, so we would have noticed.

I really think that this CarrierIQ thing is a US-carrier thing, so I would expect unlocked phones to NOT have this. But AFAIK in the US everything is carrier-branded, so they have a(nother) problem.

In any case, if it turns out that HTC, Samsung and all those "me too" (me too: big ugly touch screen, AMOLED, dual-code, Android) brands are at least *allowing* the carriers to put that into their phones, it would be (for me at least) a good reason to distrust them and hence not buy anything from them.

Whatever anyone can say, I still trust Nokia more than any other brand in this field. Hey, their finnish after all, they cannot be *that* bad