View Single Post
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Actually, I would steer you to Mer. Mer just got rebooted a month or so ago as the future of community-driven MeeGo Core. The Cordia UI is based on Mer. The KDE folks' Plasma Active user interface may run off Mer. I know Mer has had a disappointing history with its past incarnations, but it seems to have a burst of momentum now and the promise of taking the best of what came from MeeGo and running with it in a fully open, community-driven way.

If nothing else, consider talking to Stskeeps about your plans, and he can tell you what pain & suffering lies on a path like this.
The issue with Mer/Nemo/Meego at the moment, for me at least, is that after spending some significant time getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab to boot Nemo (I imagine it will be easier with the next device now I've learned the things I needed to know), as I don't have hw acceleration working I can't use the UI at all.

This is a bit disheartening and not ideal if you want to port applications rather than system sw and drivers (I want to do both), so I've decided to go for Ubuntu in the meantime so I have something that is at least vaguely usable while I look at the missing drivers, hacking together hw accel, etc.

With that said the Ubuntu XServer is segfaulting and I've just broken the install by installing the deps required to build mtev, but once that's sorted the UI should be usable at least (which is a nice morale boost).

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post: