Thread: ZaReason ZaTab
View Single Post
I wasn't terribly interested in Android either, for the very reason that it doesn't always get updated, and I don't think of it as being anywhere near 'real' Linux. Maybe if they started using X11 on it, along with Qt and Gtk+, then I would consider it a viable option.

The thing is, the current setup of Desktop operating systems are not very usable in a touch screen environment. Gnome-Shell is probably the best one so far (it could be argued that it looks like they designed it more for a touch interface than they did for a standard desktop.) I don't see anyone but them hitting that happy medium of usefulness and usability anytime soon.

But there is still a long way to go before you can just run desktop style applications on a tablet. Namely because the UI design needs to be so much different. So even if you get a x86 tablet that you can then run Wine on, it won't do you much good because without a keyboard and mouse, it'll be difficult to use a lot of software. In which case, it's no longer a tablet!

slaapliedje