View Single Post
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Well, part of the issue there might have been that when someone in community gets good enough at something, well, they got hired by Nokia or other companies in the open source ecosystem

But frankly: the way maemo.org is organised and is run is not very project-oriented and lends to way too much bikeshedding. Even in old Mer we chose a completely different working method than the rest of the community.

While the open source community does seem like the greatest thing ever which can accomplish everything under the sun, it all bends down to three things: time, money and focus.

Personally, these days I think the best product communities are the ones that operate like a proper open source project, but also has people from companies contributing within it. Mer has that, now, too. I've been involved with companies which function as open source communities internally as well - it's sometimes about the working method.

Even in big and known open source projects, go look closer at the actual contributors and you'll find many small to medium businesses, or even big corporations. .. and often that these contributions from small companies turn out to be paid work by the bigger ones.

If you believe you can do better than Nokia, have the community start one or more companies, work together in a proper open source way on common items, gain investments, etc. You can't easily put out actual mobile products on the market without actual $$$.
I missed ths post i only just seen it now.

You have got it right again in that the community never had the right kind of teamwork going and relied upon individual expertise and workmanship.

When you have more than one coder working with likewise experiance they should join together at the least to combine efforts and i did not see any evidence of this kind of teamwork going on on here at all but please correct me if i am wrong.

Many projects were badly written and made big problems for the running of the OS and this happens simply because the work is not being run in real terms, and along with other projects, this can lead to disasterous results as we have seen so many times and ends up a nofix situation simply because the coder either did not have the source available or the expertise to implement code to a partially and sometimes critically closed in some area's OS.

My honest opinion is it is a shambles from start to finish because of lack of OS source code, you simply can neither run nor check code that is to be implemented into an OS that is closed in any way or form.

In my days of engineering when software was written it was checked for all possibilities of bad or ugly situations occuring and to do this it is a must to run within the complete OS and in this case we are talking about the Maemo OS of the N900 so how could a community of even 2 coders work without the complete source?, i was dumfounded from day one when i realised what was actually happening on here.

IF Nokia has snapped up potential developers from this commuunity then it never came to any good did it ! you only need to look at the "no fix" situation of the Maemo OS even today to work that one out so they must as you said been hauled off to other companies.

I really dont know what the situation was with your Meego project and how it was put together engineer wise but i hazard a guess in that they were all seperate coders working alone with no basic frame to code too, only to implement code for you to address as you seemed to be the only complete source of closed components.

I say this because you got so far with Meego for the N900 then it stopped so i think this is why you have stated coders were snapped up leaving you with no engineers to finish the work?.

If you read this post properly you will realise i know more than i am letting on but on here it is pointless to even talk about teamwork that just cannot be and for that reason i say little but having worked in a real software development situation i very know what is required and the strict guidelines a team has to work too from start to finish, THAT could never exist on this community as you already know and have stated.

I understand you more than you ever know and my honest opinion now of you is sorrow as i said in a previous post, the carpet was pulled from under you i am sure.

My frustrations do not have words i can say i tell you to even start to explain.

Good luck in your future whoever it may be with.