View Single Post
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
4.0.4 at least in my hands consumes much less battery. For first time I'm browsing with battery saving off.
Then, unfortunately, there is the brick bug.... And unfortunately no third party kernel is 100% functioning with 4.0.4 (i.e. SpeedMod up to 3-7 has no Bluetooth)
Is it only bluetooth that's not working correctly? Or are there other functions?

I've been considering whether to try it out. I might have found a "safe" method I think. I've downloaded 4.0.4, extracted the zip, extracted the tar file. Inside this Russian doll is the Zimage. Beware as 'ere be dragons. Possible brick bug zimage.

What I want to do is take out this Zimage then re-zip back up, then boot to CWM and flash the zip.

What I don't know is; do I have replace this zimage with the zimage of the kernel I want? The "safe" kernel ( currently I'm using speedmod) could be put in there as replacement before zipping back up.

OR Is it possible to just delete the the zimage without having to replace it with anything. Will that work or will it make the flash process break?

The idea of this would be to always keep a "safe" kernel that shouldn't brick your device due to the emmc bug but you could still flash any old rom you like by replacing/deleting the zimage.