View Single Post
A bit off-topic

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
with lithium no need to do that at all, i have all kinds of lithium for these tests and for electric vehicles and DIY flashlights amps etc...

No matter how you use them they will not have any weird effects like the old crappy NiCD/NiHM battery's, only 2 things to keep in mind:
Don't go under 2V (ill say 2.5V to be safe) and don't go over 4.23V then all is good.
That comment regarding NiCds and NiMH. They still make NiCD packs that go into space. My understanding is that the memory effect rumour was due to research where satellite batteries were exposed to exactly the same charging / cycling regime (no clouds in space) for the life cycle of the battery pack. If you can imagine a satellite getting the same charge every day which is dependent on it's orbit, that is when a "memory effect" comes in to play. If it weren't for the toxicity, NiCds would still be a viable battery technology except for watt hours per kg, or lack of them. NiMH tech is now so good due to the Eneloop--I guess many people will know this but "patent encumbrance large format NiMH" is hot topic amongst EV owners and I understand you are one of these people dr_frost_dk? Both of these technologies have cycle lives of over 1000 recharges, lipo is realistically 250-300 deep cycles?

I've made several AA (eneloop) NiMH battery packs for cellphones, they are just a bit bulky that's all. It keeps older cellphones going for much longer when their proprietary battery packs are no longer available. Just find a suitable resistor for the batt-sense pin and you are away laughing