View Single Post
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@Copernicus,

Thanks for your ideas. I'll try to experiment with that and see if it works around the problem.

But in any case osso-xterm (in /usr/bin) is actually a symlink to /usr/bin/maemo-invoker, which in turn asks /usr/bin/maemo-launcher to actually execute /usr/bin/osso-xterm.launch

[RANT] No, obviously a simple executable didn't cut it for Nokia. They needed like 3 leves of indirection. Thanks for nothing. [/RANT]

The problem is that the "actual" executable is osso-xterm.launch, which can only be launched by maemo-launcher (essentially: fork, dlopen, main).

So if maemo-launcher decides that only a single instance of osso-xterm.launch can be active, there's no way around it.

Note that (I just discovered) the "New" option in osso-xterm will *NOT* run a new instance of osso-xterm, but will create a new pseudo-tty (pts/1, pts/2, ...) and run sh on it (fork/exec). But osso-xterm.launch (which is actually maemo-launcher) itself will stay there alone.

Note (I also just discovered), CTRL-SHIFT-X does the exact same thing as using the "New" option under osso-xterm (obviously, if no osso-xterm is active, it will maemo-launch it

Add.: Note (for completeness sake). running "osso-xterm" from the shell (i.e. from within osso-xterm) will NOT launch a new instance of osso-xterm, but will do exactly the same as the two other options above.

So I rephrase my original question: How the f*ck do we control maemo-launcher so that it allows multiple instances of, at least, osso-xterm.launch?

Last edited by reinob; 2012-09-21 at 13:46. Reason: running osso-xterm from osso-xterm

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post: