View Single Post
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
foundation and it's board is going to be "given" things belonging to "current" Community (and Council representing it), like repositories, domain and name, data from various servers, working units, etc. While I agree, that legally it's quite flexible, at least "good tone" require this takeover to be proceed with respect to regulations of current Community. Which means, via referendum.
I understand what you're saying, but legally the community doesn't exist and so those things don't belong to it. Without a foundation to receive them they will simply vanish forever at the end of the year anyway (even with a foundation, there are no guarantees that the current Nokia will do the right thing).

At this stage, a 3 week delay to wait for more candidates could be catastrophic. Unless at least a couple more (an unelected board would be bad for many reasons and would have serious problems negotiating with Nokia as you know first-hand) candidates magically appear by tomorrow, I'd rather postpone the elections and handover until things are in place. And after all, the current council has been elected by the community while it was well understood that getting the foundation started would be its primary responsibility. I see no reason why they shouldn't run it for a few months.

But, instead of asking current Council to become initial BoD, I would propose, to make initial BoD full cadence one - after all, they're going to be elected, so no reason for them to resign after two or three months. Makes sense?
That's fine by me, but 2-3 months and a year are very different things and quite understandably they might not want to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post: