View Single Post
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ perpetuity
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
There are my Brightness applet in N9QT which have hacky features and not require to write root password anywhere.
I just checked the scripts used by Schturman in his N9QT, and it seems that it still requires me to input my root password (and chmod +x it afterwards). I haven't installed this utility yet, but it baffles me why the script would succeed (as you said) in making the 'hacky' part of the applet work without requiring the new root password. I used the last .deb you posted here (the 'unhacky' 0.0.3 one) and the 'hacky' 0.0.3 version as well. I'm using system-ui 1.3.2 for this if it matters. Can you please kindly clarify what is the proper installation method for this applet?

Sorry for the need for clarifications, coderus, as I do not want to install N9QT for this purpose only. Not to look down on Schturman's work on N9QT (for the record, he's awesome, looking at the amount of time and dedication he has put on this), but I'm also eager to know how the shell and terminal works since I'm only a casual user of Linux-based systems.