View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Here's another N900 user and I'll most likely stay one until the device (and it's backup device in my closet) dies.

What I need is a small pocket linux computer (vpn, ssh, standardized reference platform - read: Easy Debian) with hw keyboard that's able to make phone calls and go online via cellular networks).
Frankly the N900 sucks at doing that. Maemo is dependency hell at its best, the watchdog is giving me headaches, I start to feel that my demands are limited by the hardware and to make things even worse I'm all thumbs so I almost break my fingers using the keyboard (e.g. my fist name starts with an "A" and I find it horrible to input characters that require to press two adjacent keys on a diagonal).

The sad truth is, that the N900 with all its flaws is still the best device out there for my needs. I've tried a couple of android devices (most without keyboard) and they usually feel great for the first 30 seconds or so. But then I try to accomplish one of my every-day tasks and have to realize that the kernel doesn't support tun devices, that there's no posix shell, no way to load an X-Server or something similar.

Bottom line:
I'll be the first one to throw my N900 away if there's another device on the market that suits my needs better, but I don't see that coming at all. All I can see out there are shiny toys.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: