View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
Well, i don't think that small panel i used can overvoltage since it's barely charging the battery. But my voltmeter is broken so i can't measure the output of the pannel.
You'd be surprised what even a small PV-cell can do when no load (device shut off, battery full and cut out due to protective circuit kicked in) and you give it a flash from a photography electron flasher.

Estel is absolutely right with his concerns. I'd like to add concerns about USB2.0 electrical properties getting messed up by your rework, resulting in data errors or even complete failure to establish connections at highspeed (480Mb/s). Even some cheap USB cables can fail for highspeed when the building quality and cable are poor.

[edit] re your 2nd post: all that's reasonably hot-swappable in N900 is already made to support hotswap. uSD slot gets powered down when you remove the battery cover, so you don't destroy the uSD by removing it while powered. SIM is useless to hotswap anyway. So what's the rationale of your hotswap plans? I failed to get the point.

[edit2] With sufficient electronical expertise you could create a convenient way to hotswap the battery, but the needed know-how is not trivial. To give you a starter: you MUST NOT parallel-connect two LiIon cells with differing charging level.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-06-16 at 11:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: