View Single Post
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
In 2011 I knew 4 other people with an N900 (here in London, UK). You might expect something like it, but they are all software developer Linux geeks (as I am).

Since then, they've all except for me (tho' unsure on one) moved on to other phones as their main device - eg. Galaxy Note/S3's, random other Android. Two of them had hardware problems with it, and mine has some also; no usb port (though will try to resolder the new one I ordered on when I got time..) and the clock-backup battery is dead. CSSU got me fixed on a few things that really bugged me (common 40sec-1min email delays to update the list were just painful with the gmail bug in PR1.3 and below).

Q: Is CSSU/Thumb really stable enough now? - bearing in mind I can't reflash it at present if anything goes wrong... Does it reduce lag lots from memory switching?

So to workalong with my issues, I use a couple of ebay small chargers (one work one home) and a spare battery - been through a few, cheaper ones tend to stop working after a while kept in my pocket/in-out of the charger, with the black strip on top that is the connector becoming loose, but these are still so much cheaper than official Nokia-sourced ones; go for better end of the cheap ones (~£5 on Amazon/ebay) with good reviews for the best results, and one company even did well and sent me a free replacement for one that clearly was causing my phone to reset randomly. Remember Nokia 5800 ones are compatible (aids searches).

I learnt a smooth and fast technique with switching batteries so mostly I dont need to re-enter the time after a main battery switch every couple of days. Not found anywhere that can replace this battery cheaply enough..

Despite all this I've still not found a phone I want to replace it with that strongly; though am kinda planning it (Samsung) but something keeps me holding off for want of a nice physical keyboard or lots of spare screenspace when its on screen! Tizen/Sailfish/FirefoxOS/Ubuntu Touch are all sounding potentials to play with a while, but am guessing I'll want to run them on pre-purchased 3rd-party hardware instead of whatever mass-market oriented device they may be lucky enough to get attached to. Shame about the Edge...

Upgrades and fresh software (hi newly-discovered Tweetian-for-Maemo-backport!) are definitely softening the waiting period pain though - and Neo900 sounds interesting, faster cpu and more RAM sound like a great late-term upgrade to keep it running longer (oh and fixing my usb!)

Last edited by jgbreezer; 2013-09-12 at 12:41. Reason: for more easily understandable text

The Following User Says Thank You to jgbreezer For This Useful Post: