View Single Post
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Northern Italy
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
No Linux phones? I take it you are not aware of the N9, Jolla or the Neo900 project?
Actually, I am.

The N9 doesn't look like a tremendous improvement over the N900 (for instance it still uses a single-core A8, though the gig of RAM is actually pretty good), is hard to get ahold of and expensive even second-hand. New old-stock ones don't seem to sell cheaper than €250 here, which for a three-and-a-half years old phone is rather a lot of money.

The Jolla is very expensive and only barely out of vaporware status. I might get it eventually, but I'll wait for it to become available cheaper and at a consumer level rather than "preorder now and you might get yours in a few months".

And the Neo900 seems very underwhelming to me. I had a look at its specs and most entry-level phones of today do better, and for the bare motherboard they want as much money as you'd pay for a super-high-end top-of-the-line phone of the sort bought by people who have too much money to bother spec-hunting.

If the bare motherboard cost the €70-or-so that its specs would justify (seriously, there are €40 Android-on-a-stick computers that do so much better it isn't even funny) I might give one a shot, but for the money they're planning to charge it's a complete non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

I don't want you to think I'm disgruntled or disappointed; I fully realize a cottage operation like the Neo900 can't hope to match prices with giant Chinese sweatshop industries that churn out Android sticks by the million, and I sympathize, but the fact remains that the price remains unjustifiable for my wallet.

Anyway... I wrote the post yesterday; by coincidence, today I got some pretty heavy news - which means I'll have to switch priorities and fairly serious things will be on my mind for a while, and I can't really be bothered matching specs and phone hunting right now. I think I'll keep the 520 for the time being, and wait until this particular situation has blown over before looking at other phones. Hopefully by then I can actually buy a Jolla or a Ubuntu phone, or even something with Tizen in it.

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
if I turn off Javascript I find my non-overclocked N900 loading my daily web pages pretty fast
Which would be fine if most websites didn't work at all with Javascript disabled. I'd love it if there was a law mandating every site to have a "works on a Pentium 133" static version, but this isn't the case.

After a brief Jolla adventure I see myself end up with an NeoN900...
You mean you owned a Jolla? How was it?

Last edited by Fallingwater; 2013-12-03 at 17:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fallingwater For This Useful Post: