View Single Post
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Nobody promised you any of that, you just didn't do enough research.
Sorry, but that's really nonsense.

True, Nokia never vowed to provide certain applications, so the quoted assertion is factually correct.

But has any review or assessment of internet tablets ever failed to make much of the sense of reasonable expectation (in other words, "promise") that a wide variety of software would be available for these devices? The Wikipedia article on the N800 provides a good example:

"One of the strengths of the N800 over similar devices is that there are many compatible third party applications, due in part to the free and open source nature of Linux and the maemo SDK. Some applications are original software written specifically for the N800 while other applications are straight ports of existing Linux programs."

In short, most of the buzz about internet tablets makes it perfectly reasonable to assume that such commonplace applications as "calendar, office suite, and good video player" would be available for the platform. If they are truly unavailable (and I leave that question for another debate) then the platform has failed to live up to reasonable expectations.

But I'm staying with the N800 for now, frustrating as it can be. It does fit in my pocket, and that's worth something. It's still worth a lot more (to me) than what's offered by the supposed competitors that won't fit in my pocket.