View Single Post
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
whats stopping someone from profiling ham to find the cause of slowness? fmg, as handaxe has stated, has done some work on it but there could be more improvements to be had.
Speeding-up HAM is not over(despite I find the version in latest -thumb perfectly usable), it is just that I don't want to make huge changes in such a critical piece of SW like HAM at once. Though I don't think I will touch HAM again before it is included in new CSSU-testing, but that's another story .

as can be seen by dosbox stuff, i don't mind looking over code but i'm nowhere near the same league as fmg or pali. something as critical as ham i wouldn't want to play with until i get a bit more confident.
I don't think it is a rocket science to use oprofile, though the one in repos is too old to be used for thumb-compiled binaries(I use almost newest upstream version and will upload it in extras upon request).

Anyway, there are a couple of things missing in apt-get and FAM compared to HAM:

- system upgrade failure recovery - HAM will try to recover your system in case a reboot/powerdown happens during system upgrade
- "domains" - honestly, I don't want some speedpatch clone to creep on my device because a script-kiddie has pushed it in extras replacing a system package. don't know about FAM, but apt-get will happily install such package.
- "install scripts", etc. - look here if you are curious.

And in addition FAM is unmaintained - the fact that a long standing "bug" like autoremove being checked by default is still not fixed means that this software is not fit for the purpose of being a distribution package manager. IMO.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post: