View Single Post
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Over the past two years I think we can all agree that IR technology, especially the one way IR technology of the N900 is now almost mute in comparison to Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC of it's Android counterparts.
I suspect all those Pierogi users will disagree. IR is still in widespread use, and it will be some years before that is no longer the case.

The concern of a removable battery never bothered me.
I have never once replaced my N900 battery to extend its use during the day. I do like having the freedom to do so, though. Also, I replaced the original Nokia battery with a Scud to improve battery life. Batteries have a limited lifespan, and need to be changed periodically. I don't want to have to take my device apart or hand it over to a 'genius' in order to change the battery.

Flash, the argument being laughable in retrospect. Never really affected me.
Flash sucks. It's a battery killing, DRM enabling, resource hogging piece of crap.

Removeable storage... well that's a neat one. With the iPhone being able to use Google Drive (15GB, free), Dropbox (23GB, free), and iCloud (5GB, free, however I upgraded to 25GB for $20/yr) - those are just the services I use. That gives me a total of 63GB of cloud based storage. I have come to the conclusion that cloud based storage is far superior to removable storage, in nearly (will touch on that) every aspect (price, storage compatibility, storage limitations).
Cloud storage is great ... until the service closes or they change the terms and conditions. That's before we even consider any privacy and security issues. Local storage FTW.

Other than that, I don't know how some of you could still be using the N900 as your primary communications device in 2014. I am happy to see the community is still thriving, as it is a great community.
N900 is one of a kind in today's stale smartphone market. For those that value its unique features, there is no alternative.

My website

GitHub

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post: