View Single Post
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
I was mistaken about the cable, I don't recall what came in the box in November 2008. I don't see how it has this huge relevance.

Yes, that is a good idea and a not so good idea. I think there are things that everyone can fundamentally agree are important, such as SSHd and being able to mirror your devices on a separate display, VNC, a proper filing system and even compression tools. The disagreement I have with I perceive to be the disagreement is things that not all people find to be important or even relevant such as an FM transmitter or IR transmitter. For example the vast majority of cars built after 2010 not only have an AUX input but they have a little docking stand for your device that charges it and controls the device with the in car display. Thus I would make the argument that even though the iPhone does not have an FM transmitter it is just as good, if not better than a device with an FM transmitter with the majority of cars built after 2010. I don't think running emacs on your phone is important, I don't think having an IR transmitter on your phone is relevant anymore (especially when so many TVs are switching over to Bluetooth)
I don't think the issue should be which phone or OS is better because that depends on the individuals needs. You may not want an IR transmitter but someone else may need it. You don't need an FM transmitter but clearly someone else does. Same for emacs, size of screen, integration of social media, eye candy, swipe ui, hwkb, processor, hackablity, types and number of apps and so forth. In general, phones or OS do not have everything you would like so you pick one based on what meets your needs. I like android, jolla, n900, n9, and even apple. There are also things I don't like about them. There is no best phone. There are always compromises. My point was to provide folks with the data to assess current capabilities and then they can decide for themselves what best suits their needs

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: