View Single Post
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Poland
Good question, that I actually can answer without asking:
Initially, it was meant to be something like "backcover/body replacement for FreEmantle powered devices". But, since Neo900 flopped, it is not sure if FreEmantle will ever emerge (I hope so, even for N900 alone! But hardware limitations in form of closed blobs might block it) and it wasn't making much sense to change it later.

Rover, OTOH, is known only to few (I, for one, had no idea) and there is currently only one device powered by fremantle. we wasn't sure if describing is as n900-backcover-replacement would be Ok, as N900 is Nokia's/Microsoft's trademark. So, we decided on fremantle, as widely recognized term.

Now, it might be bad idea from my side (I'm the one that helped with gitorious creation and rolling it"properly"), but I had no better one. I'm afraid that changing it later might be bad idea, as it breaks push/pull git links, so if no one come up with a ingenious better alternative right now, it's going to stay that way.

Also, I forget to mention two things something in my comment after quote from 1st post:

1. The leg isn't inside backcover in any photo, because its hinges are inserted into case and glued (temporally) for anodizing, already. They're too small to anodize separately - we're anodizing the whole backcover in three groups. Backcover with it's things inserted temporally is one, leg another, and camera's cover the last. Afterwards, hinges are removed, leg inserted, and hinges incorporated for good, this time.

2. Estel meant to post the update last Friday, actually, but he couldn't for obvious reasons (that I don't want to discuss as off-topic and unrelated to my work) I was unavailable for the weekend and my TMO account setup had some complications, thus the 3-days delay.

Sincerely, Arien Stokowiec

Be sure to check Open Hardware backcover/body replacement gitorious page!
https://gitorious.org/fremantle-backcover-replacement