View Single Post
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by backcover_press_service View Post
Re "truly open spirited" - Estel's argumentations is TMO is not reliable place for informing and communicating about his projects. He also stated, that post database is in hands (managed) by people that were not elected by the community, not appointed by Hildon Foundation Council (or something like that, excuse me writing from memory), processed by closed source hardware forum engine (vBulletin). Finally, he mentioned huge problems with handling posts database in times of Nokia dropping support when he was Councilor, and state, that those problems about "who owns psots database" have never been resolved, nor free license for content posted was applied.
Don't want to sound like a douche, but such argumentation pisses me off. The database was always in private hands (first it was owned by Reggie - one of TMO members) and then it was handled to HiFo or something like that. And while more FOSS-friendly and wanted there were legal problems with changing the place they're stored (country) and there was no manpower to migrate the database (forum engine). About content posted, see footer:

The promise from the 1st post in this thread is that all parts of Alu body replacement are going to be created using FOSS software. For me (my private opinion), it also means communication services.
Don't forget to make sure your internet card uses foss firmware and none of servers/routers/etc on the way use proprietary software.

For rest of his posts, you need to ask Estel, but I think that respecting his right to decide where his posts are appearing and managed by who, is not too much. I don't see how transferring content from non-FOSS unknown-managed board to FOSS one is not FOSS-spirited.
Ignoring ******** about unknown-managed (there is no such thing as unknown-managed) etc: Transfering - ok, but keep it consistent. You will make both databases incosistent and look like crap in places related to your projects - and you will reach much smaller audience when you remove your stuff from here (there are not many Maemo users either way). In the end, it will not benefit your projects, and maybe even the opposite (prove me wrong).

For your information, all posts on new forum will be posted under Creative Commons license (FSF approved). Any person registering will have to agree that content posted by said person is CC licensed, so contributions will remain in public domain indefinitely (and everyone will have right to replicate/use them in any way that doesn't break CC rules).
See my screenshot above, read this forum's rules and see footer - what you wrote is nothing different than this forum, no improvement, just silly childish "i'll take my toys and go play in another playground".

As for any_other_engine propositions - again, it's a thing to discuss with Estel. We assumed, that hosting project files in Gitorious and having FOSS forum engine to communicate is enough for us, thus we don't want to waste time setting up something different/learning how to set it up and how to use/ just for the sake of it.

If you're willing to contribute your time setting up something that you tihnk would be more efficient for our project, we're thankful and definitely interested. I can organize a direct (mail) contact between you and Estel, to discuss your contributions plans.
I run my own FOSS projects (and commercial closed-source ones) and use Redmine for them, I just think you should give it a try. I haven't know Ruby at the time I was setting it up at first and it took me <1h to be up and running. But it's your decision, I only wanted to suggest considering something which is FOSS too, but can help manage projects (especially if there are many of them).

As for Estels programs in repos, you have to ask him. I guess that it depends on the status of repos (who managed them, and if that person have right to do so appointed by community, or some kind of content hijacking occurred).

Any way, all things Estel release are GPL or LGPL licensed, so there is not problem in anyone replicating/reuploading/maintaining them in case Estel decide to pull it out. Again, I don't think there will be reasons for it, if status of Maemo's repos isn't dubious
Ok, I hope someone will reupload it if he wants them removed. I don't see how status of Maemo's repos could be dubious - there are different repos, all with clear rules and licenses, like Debian ones.

I will contact Estel directly if I have any other questions, thanks for your answer, I didn't want to offend you, I'm just generally angry that Estel and joerg_rw both cannot settle some kind of agreement between themselves.

Edit: I will not be surprised if this situation ends up in way similar to that thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1017410 It looks like TMO had similar "issues" in the past, too ;p (it's strange, I was active back then, I should remember that...)

Last edited by misiak; 2014-06-02 at 21:56.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post: