View Single Post
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Personally I never want to see X11 apps in a phone, let those crappy UI apps remain in desktop only env.
As if the display server has any impact on how crappy programs look!

Either way... xwayland exists!

Please note that there's no acceleration at all and that input does not work.

- For 2D acceleration we could at some point consider the use of Glamor. This would require some investigation as the current Xwayland uses GBM buffers, and I have no idea how libhybrys equivalent work.
- 3D acceleration is "complicated", but probably not useful at all since I know of few OpenGLES+X11 programs (Maemo ones being the most glaring exceptions...).
- As for input, I suspect that I need to look up the QtWayland "propietary" touch interfaces/protocols and patch xwayland accordingly.

I have made an OBS project with Xwayland and all the usual required X11 libraries and dependencies. Just set up the repository and install package "xorg-x11-server-xwayland" from it. Also on the repository is the xlogo tool.

Start Xwayland on a terminal like this:
Code:
Xwayland -nolisten tcp :0
export DISPLAY=:0.0
xlogo
Replace -nolisten tcp with -ac if you want to do non-SSH/insecure X11 forwarding.

Feel free to depend on the OBS project if you need libX11-devel or other packages in order to port X11 software to Sailfish. Most of these libraries are just updated versions of the older X11 packages in Nemo/Mer. If I missed some important lib/tool just ping me.

It was known that the "older" Xwayland was a pain to port and build because of its entrenched architecture -- it required specific parts for each Xorg "driver", Intel, nvidia, etc. At some point I pondered if it was worth resurrecting the older Xsdl server because it would be much simpler to port. However, there's no need to: Xwayland 1.16.x upwards is now finally "driver" independent and is as simple to build as Xsdl was!

EDIT: Funnily, closing Xwayland the "Sailfwish way" crashes Wayland!
EDIT: Updated image to real device screenshot.

Last edited by javispedro; 2014-09-22 at 11:16.

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: