View Single Post
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Hi,
What may be the experience of using N9 and meego after more than two years dealing with other OS an devices ...

History: when I bought my N9 in Spring 2012 to replace my N900 I realized, that I want a physical keyboard :-( - so I switched to Android ...
A few months later my employer switched from BB to iOS so I was forced to deal with touch-keyboards :-( - well I finally came to the conclusion that switching between physical and touch-keyboards is annoying and so bought a BB Z10 an a Lumia 620 as privat-full-touch-devices - the N9 in the darkest corner of the drawer was out of my mind for a long time ....

Now I'm moving to another flat and when I emptied the drawers of my desk it was there - a nearly-never-used N9 16GB in cyan in like-new-condition :-) - what to do now? Sell it, give it to my nephew (wants his first smartphone now for christmas - but all his friends use android ...), put it in another drawer for the next 20 years and sell it for 500.000,- like an Apple one ;-) ...

Well, what I did was loading the battery, switching it on, just to test if it still works, and ... That was on last Sunday and since then I can't stopping myself from playing with it ;-) - first many updates, then realizing, that many things won't work anymore (exchange accounts, Dropbox, ...) - reading through the forums, learned about OpenRepos, found many hacks and a community still active and helpfull.

After all that time I can't believe Nokia abandoned meego in favour for WP - which reached a usability close to meego (but still behind it) only with the last release 8.1 - and we learned: it was the beginning of the end of nokia to choose WP :-(
So after more than two years meego feels still up-to-date and with several hacks it still serves well as a daily device. Of course the browsing experience is outdated (but development stopped - and the competitors weren't better three years ago) and it's much better with opera, so the device is not the problem ;-)

Conclusion: The N9 is still a great device an meego was a promising piece of software - it's a shame - if the community will stay as active as it is these days, the N9 could keep working for daily business for even a few more years - hey folks keep active ;-) - from the hardware side the N9 would be classified as a middle class smartphone today, what ist still good for a soon 4 year old phone :-) - and: todays smartphones are to big for my needs :-( so the N9 feels perfect in size an weight ...

Ah and compared to my beloved BB Z10 - there are many similarities between the two OS - what would have happened if Nokia had cooperated with BB instead of MS - so today Nokia is dead an BB still struggling - A combination of BB's hub with meegos "feeds page" and plus the multitasking-handling of WebOS (RIP) ... ok that's wild guess now ;-)

So what should I do now? I thing I'll keep it at least for a few mor week - to see what usefull things can be hacked in the OS which I still haven't tested in the last days ;-) - or maybe I should give it away immediately, because I already spent ours in playing with the device and should do something more reasonable with my time ;-) - If anyone want's to save me from wasting my live to a dead OS an want's a nearly new N9 in showroom condition - drop me a message with a bid ;-) - location is in the south of germany

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post: