View Single Post
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by norayr View Post
Its main disability is weak hardware.

Would you agree that its main disability is low RAM?

In a device that withstands the tooth of time so well that it is so loved by its fans and community that they continue to support and even reverse engineer the sofware, this is the single biggest obsolescence by design feature, thanks Nokia.
And the other disability is the slower CPU compared to recent standards.
Jolla / Sailfish is way faster when performing comparable tasks in the web browser.

N900 is still ahead considering:

-loudspeakers: N900 provides a sense of dimension and delivers stereo sound. It lets you imagine how the music should sound. Jolla's single speaker is just way below average and deforms the sound in a non-repairable way (I had my Jolla's speaker repaired so I guess it is ok now, actually not ok)

-construction quality: most mobile devices are weaker and so is Jolla

-hardware keyboard: better, a world of difference on critical moments

-camera - N900 has a press half to focus camera button, lens cap (my Jolla's lens cover coating is now rotting and I start to feel reluctant to contact tech support one more time) but in general use the N900 camera is too slow. Yet it produces more pleasing results than Jolla. Jolla could have had easy victory here but actually struggles.

-repairability is top of the bill: it is very easy to open and replace worn parts like keyboard key mat or headphone jack.

-ergonomics: its the N900 that is comfortable to hold both thanks to its thick borders both for calling and long time reading + kickstand and pen can be used as extra extendible grip pionts

-display tech: superior and more versatile compared to Jolla's thanks to resistive technology allowing control over non- touch desktop soft + stylus.

-kickstand: better than Jolla

-FM transmitter: better than Jolla

-IR transmitter: better than Jolla

-TV out: better than Jolla. This is a typical example of decreasing value due to lacking hardware: I used to be disappointed that N900 did not come with HDMI but today, almost 5 years later, I am more happy than ever that at least I have the analog video out compared to nothing on the Jolla.

-after market battery: Mugen extra large battery , plenty of choice in original and 3rd pary brands + desktop charger

-N900 came with charging adapter to convert to USB type any old Nokia charger laying around - now also benefiting my Jolla

Our family was watching series on Youtube on an old Panasonic TV only last weekend over CuteTube (hereby thanks Marxian). Not something that ever gets planned in advance, but when the idea pops up, the N900 delivers.

Don't want to break down the Jolla since I love sailfish OS and it holds the (hope for a) future that continues in the fading trail of the Nokia N9... But as much as I like to look at Sailfish OS and feel amazed that it even exists, when it comes to usability, N900 wins hands down.

And that has a lot to do with solid hardware!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: