View Single Post
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Tigerroast View Post
Something I'd like to address again is the general slowness of the UI. Smoothness isn't the issue, but the animations are. I'm not sure if it's the transitions.ini (I have the Dscobsct transitions.ini via MaeModder), but I really dislike how long they take. Changing orientation (the worst one), going into the app menu, closing apps, going from one app to another, the animations are quite slow. OC'ing doesn't help, either.

If there's a way to speed up/replace/remove the animations, I'd really like to know.
Most of the animated transitions (which I seriously dislike) have a duration parameter, which is essentially independent of the CPU, so you can just reduce the duration ([speculation] some may cause troubles if set to zero so just set them to a small value[/speculation]).

And finally, Easy Debian is giving me problems. I tried to install the "v3e" image, and every time I let the installer run, the phone reboots. It did this for both the v3e image and Estel's image. I then downloaded the armel Wheezy image, put it in the phone, and extracted the image myself just to find out that I can't chroot into it with the scripts that come with Easy Debian. I'll leave it be for now, but I really do want the capabilities a Debian chroot offers.
The reboot is caused (most likely) by the watchdog. Basically the N900 is so busy writing to the eMMC that dmse gets no chance to kick the watchdog.

Watchdogs are for sissies. Enable R&D and continue as usual.

I've never used easy-debian or easy-chroot as-is. I always unpack the images (so the rootfs is just a directory in my /home or in a uSD card) and clean-up the mess the scripts do because they assume it's always an image. I don't run X clients in easy-debian, which simplifies the set-up a bit.