Thread: [Fremantle Maemo5] Commercial Apps on Maemo
View Single Post
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
So, next question -- are there any restrictions on entering open-source apps into the Maemo Extras repository that are explicitly "commercial" in nature? I would imagine that an activation-code on an open source program isn't all that different from a request for donations, but I want to make sure I don't overstep any bounds here...
I'm not aware of any restrictions on open-sourced programs that are commercial in nature (neither such limitations be logical). Also, there is no problem with uploading CLOSED source programs to repos, in the non-free section.

As for the dillema of how to distribute - I would still say that "encrypting" database or merging closed-source modules with open-source base would be quite pointless, as dishonest people will be able to bypass it (with more or less effort). Having everything open sourced makes it less work for you, with - probably - same results - honest people will pay for it as you request.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: