View Single Post
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Alright, after being very unhappy with some changes in Sailfish UI 2.0, I have taken things in my own hands

Here is the first version of the PullDown Covers patch.

First, some background - after hearing about the changes in cover actions, in the beginning of this year, I was thinking about ways to solve the problem with tiny buttons and the lack of gestures. One of my first thoughts was adding a pulley menu, which would be already familiar to the users and would create greater consistency with the rest of the system (I love the original pulley menu gesture and there's nothing better, but it was the only place in the system where such gesture was used). I did some mockups in QML, but it didn't really work well. Now that Sailfish UI 2.0 is available for testing, I could finally:
  1. see how big of a problem the new cover gestures are
  2. try patching the system

So here it is.

Changes:
  • added a pulley menu (together with a needed SilicaFlickable and Rectange for cropping)
  • original cover action buttons set to disabled
  • cover action icons' opacity changed to 0.5 (to show that the buttons are inactive)

Warnings:
  • use on your own risk. It may break your system, so don't blame me if it does It works well for me, though.
  • it works only on SailfishOS version 1.1.9.28
  • once you have more than 9 apps open, it may interfere with scrolling. I may add means to prevent this in the future, but for now, it is just up to you how many apps you have open.
  • it is now bit harder to open the menu, as you cannot scroll on the app covers - either scroll in between covers, or swipe from the bottom of the screen to access the menu. This should be solvable, but I currently don't know how - I had spent days trying to figure how to limit Flickable to only one direction (down), few months ago.

Planned:
  • think about reversing the order of the items in pulley menu
  • settings page?

EDIT 1:
Added another warning (about menu access).

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-09-06 at 13:49.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post: