View Single Post
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I want it. I like the idea of working at my desktop, then disconnecting a pocketable mobile device from it and continuing my work as I go.
Something like that already exists with Apple ecosystem. Work on your iPhone on a document when standing at bus stop, continue work on the same doc in the bus on iPad. Then continue on the same doc at home on your mac. With iCloud sync you have access to some documents and data from all devices.
This solutions gives you exact same result as what you are asking, or what continuum is claiming to promise, or what Ubuntu is promising.

True, with Apple's solution you need to use the internet to replicate all data on all the devices and the cloud is used as backup. And I bet MS's (and Google's, whatever they come with) solution would be even more dependent on the cloud. Not sure about Ubuntu though.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
The concept of a mobile device that works differently than your desktop, that you "sync" to your desktop when you leave and return, was created (and perfected!) with the PDAs back in the 90's. All we've really got today with the smartphone world are PDAs that are also good media players...
Can I suppose from your comment above that you are against using the cloud? I am, and that is why I am a big supporter of the old style sync-your device-locally method. That way I at least know where all my data is. Unfortunately is is hard to sync my BB Passport with my macbook locally without going through the cloud.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post: