View Single Post
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Have a sashimi or barbecue depends on the type of fish.
Because we all enjoy the variety of human language here, "barbecue" (or BBQ or bar-b-que or bar-b-q, etc., etc.) also depends on where you might be.

I'm about in the middle of the USA, so I'm at the crossroads of regional expressions. Travel just 1 or 2 degrees North and BBQ (etc) exclusively means food cooked on an open fire -- usually outdoors. But drive 2-3 degrees South, and barbecue (Barbeque, BBQ, etc.) is a liquid condiment consisting of a combination of water, tomato sauce, vinegar, salt, sweetener, and herbs and spices in various proportions -- or food prepared with such a condiment.

Of course, other regionalisms are also recognized. A meal cooked outdoors might also be a "Smoker" or "Cookout" or other term.

All of which is even funnier because I'm the vegetarian of the family, who's still responsible for making sure that the animal flesh (fish, fowl, or whatever) is prepared to each member's liking.

Anyway, still trying to find an interesting subject for the month. Probably gonna stake out the neighbors' koi pond, assuming the herons, raccoons and fishers haven't emptied it. Wish me luck.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post: