View Single Post
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I do not quite follow that line of reasoning. If you had said that 8 hours is fine for a desktop replacement then I would understand. That is pretty much where laptops fit. But 8 hours for something that, by your own emphasis, is NOT aiming to replace a desktop? For something that, by its very nature, is meant to be mobile?

Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, the portable counterparts of the desktop computers of the same era had a battery life counted in weeks or months (Sharp PC 1500, HP 95LX...). Similar counterparts in 2010s barely manage through the day. What went wrong?
Although I fully agree that battery life should be improved drastically, I do believe that 8 hours of work is sufficient for many things in which makes it not classified as only a toy.

For example, I have a Surface Pro 3, and when I first bought it (I was going to university at the time), I used it for literally everything and it lasted me the whole day at school.. And I did everything on it. (I had my books, notes, code.. etc). So my point here is that it really depends on how you use the tablet that classifies it, you cannot go ahead and generalise all tablets as toys.

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post: