View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Has the community done any progress on it or is it just me who has XZs?

If i wipe android I need bankid/swish so I need Dalvik too so community edition is probably not enouoght but would be nice to know if anyone has tried SFOS on XZs?

My second option is to buy a X also and install official SFOS so I can use Bankid. Then try to be more active in the community and help, if I can in some way, port SFOS to XZs and hope Jolla will help us with the closed bits such as Dalvik. I don't have a clue how big this task is and how much can be "reused" from X. I only know the camera/kernel is different but...
@mikecomputing, would be great to have active and contributing members in the community. I don't think we are in position where we should just sit and wait for SFOS to get better without us - it wouldn't. So, good to hear of your wish to step up and make the difference.

I wonder whether Bankid is open sourced or proprietary bit. In Estonia, most of the ID software is open sourced, with the exception of a newer version that is heavily promoted these days. Unfortunately, company behind it refused to port it to SFOS (I do wonder why?). Maybe you have better luck with the Bankid?

As for Jolla helping with porting Dalvik to XZ - I don't think it will happen, unless something majorly changes in their business model. It looks to be major (read expensive) effort to do so. Do you know whether Bankid works on Dalvik? With XZ, you may have better luck with supporting anbox. I presume XZ would have more or less recent kernel and that's required to tun it. So, it maybe cheaper and more constructive to get a cheap android phone for bankid and push for XZ port together with the anbox development.

Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
Just curious, can I run your up-to-date community build and still install XT9 from the Jolla store from my official purchase? I don't install the Android support, because - personally - I consider it device poison.
No idea whether its allowed, but its a fair question. Its just insane that we have to use proprietary bits for text prediction. When (if) I get off the navigation software development, I would be happy to help anyone to get this piece of SFOS replaced with some open-sourced solution. Just would prefer to finish what I started before first. Any takers for developing text prediction for SFOS so we can drop XT9?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: