View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
You do realise that both the latest Firefox and Chrome require way more memory than the N900 has?
Quoted for truth.

@Dennis:
Just try firefox-esr under Easy Debian Jessie and you'll see, that it's unbearably slow (if it starts at all, that is).
Tbh I haven't tried Firefox/Iceweasel under ED since Wheezy, but even then it was nigh unusable.
The "Quantum update" was mainly about parallelizing things, which is great on a modern x86 PC with umpteen cores, but useless on a single-core Cortex A8.
On my EEE 901 netbook I see basically no speed improvement, because all the puny Atom N270 has to offer in terms of parallelizing is hyperthreading of a single core. What I see is, that now both threads are running at 100% for a minute instead of one, until the GUI is loaded.

Originally Posted by wicket View Post
You're building it on the device? Good luck with finishing that sometime this year!
I'm surprised the N900's watchdog doesn't keep rebooting the system every five minutes (RD mode on?).
When I started toying around with Easy Debian I pretty soon decided that I wouldn't compile on the N900. But I also was too lazy to properly learn how to cross-compile. Qemu was unbearably slow (even on my i7-2700k it was slower than on the N900), so I decided to buy a Cubieboard 2.

Edit:
Wait a second, I believe this actually IS the watchdog:
Originally Posted by DennisHeine View Post
edit: yeah, my phone drained again... damn bs, it has to be restarted every half an hour,

Last edited by sulu; 2019-02-22 at 09:31.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: