View Single Post
Posts: 1,703 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Text written to amuse, not to ask instructions or as a guide how to do things. You have been warned. Read with your own risk.

Beginning

I wanted to get whatsapp, Instagram and Telegram on ED Jessie. I always do the mistake that I start with Telegram. And when trying to get it you need to edit sources.list .

I like leafpad but everytime (I have had to reinstall ED many times)when I try to install it it states something about some contrab and statoverride error. I have found an instruction to delete statoverride file/folder as well as some lock fie/folder and then I can install leafpad with apt-get.

But cause I don't know how to install telegram with right way with depencies I wan't to install gdebi. Untill that I have had only dbus and x11 errors shown with update. After gdebi there comes more, dpkg and such which are a bit annoying but I'll manage if I still can install stuff.

Then comes the telegram part. I look for possible repositories which have either .deb packages with telegram or armhf repos. Those I find from Raspberry Pi and odroid forums. Then I add all the repositories and update and try to install telegram.

If not found I look for downloadable packages, download them and then search for answers how to open them with tar and install and launch.

Many times at this point there are some dependencie problems as well as installing error stating that this is not configured and that is dependent of this and not installed, all hindering me from achieving my goal so I search how to fix such. -f install and --fix-missing do something, chown -R and chmod rights are needed for some (don't really know what they do but hope they'll do good for me), and the more sources you have the more good they do, right?

Latest found was aptitude -t and how to fetch stuff from backports repo (isn't that a miracle medicin for fixing dependencie errors?) and wow how apti-dude, my new friend, is trying to fix my problems like a pro! And just to make sure nothing is preventing my img to be fixed no root password!

Someone may wonder am I not scared to mess my device? Of course not! Cause in ED instructions it said something like that there is no problem cause you can just delete the image and reinstall it and your device is safe.

Now I'm not anymore sure it is like that. I have suddenly error on maemo side with package manager saying there are unsupported stuff from some outside sources. My Jessie is not working as should, all kinds of settings suddenly missing and messed, update gives dbus, x11, dpkg, gdebi, gconf2 and some other errors.

But I got chromium 57, whatsapp and instagram working (!!!) - which is to succeed on compromising the device which makes me feel I'm an abuser and molestor. But now I know how to do it! Now just in need to flash my device and start from a clean table and this time, this time I'm not gonna do same mistakes!

Yeah, for sure. Learning curve keeps circling but ain't that how the universe is made, an endless spiral seen in everywhere and in everything? Why should I be something else, some boring line from A to B?

The End

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post: