View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
We all know that Maemo Leste is not yet in a state to be used as daily driver but it is not that far from that (depending on your use case).
So a statement whether FX will be supporting Maemo Leste or not would give it another boost (imho).
I think it would be difficult for Fx Tec to make such a statement, particularly to make a commitment to supporting any operating system that they may not be familiar with. Supporting Maemo Leste properly means supporting mainline Linux, and that often relies on third-party suppliers (like Qualcomm) providing the necessary documentation and support, something that historically, has frequently not happened. If Fx Tec made such a statement and it did not meet expectations, could you imagine the uproar? Especially here on TMO, we've seen it plenty of times before. I think that from a business perspective, they've done the right thing to say "this is an Android device with an unlocked bootloader". Anything else really is a bonus. Let's not forget that whether we want Sailfish or Maemo Leste, we are a niche market and Fx Tec is a startup. They don't owe us anything. They have to succeed as a business first and foremost.

Liangchen has come out to say that they will support the community to get other OSs running on the device and I think that's great. I can also confirm that he kept to his word and contacted me via PM. He is serious about supporting mainline Linux. It's too early to tell how successful this will be, but the early signs are promising.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2019-03-01 at 22:14.

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: