View Single Post
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
For anyone interested support for N900 has ended.
https://github.com/M4rtinK/modrana/pull/287
I believe there will still be a fair few N900 users that should be made aware of this here.
Yeah, I planned to do an announcement here, likely as part of next version release notes, but might as well do it now.

BTW, I really wonder how many users are actually affected - the version in Extras has really not been updated in a while, mainly do to most of the recent work & fixes not really affecting the parts of modRana in use on Maemo. I guess that also kinda implies the code duplication that has been in place up till now. :P

It's a shame but I can understand this especially with python and GTK2 support disappearing.
Pretty much - for some time this was an interesting exercise in keeping a non trivial application compatible with a wide range of Python versions (2.5-3.4/3.6). This experience came really handy at work at Red Hat when I helped to port the Anaconda installer used by Fedora/CentOS/RHEL to Python 3.

Still I don't think supporting Python 2, especially the ancient Python 2.5 needed for the N900 is viable anymore, with Sailfish OS upgrading to 3.7 a while ago, Python 2 going EOL this January & Fedora and other distros getting ridd of Python 2 software where possible.

Another issue is also the original GTK2/Cairo GUI - back then it really was the best option given the environment (first the Neo FreeRunner & early N900), but things changed quite a bit since then.

Newer GUI technologies, such as Qt 5/QML make achieving what modRana needs in it's interface much easier, nice, faster and more responsive with far lesser amount of custom code & hacks needed to achieve the desired end result.

Also let's say I can write much better code now than I did 10 years ago + not all design decisions I did back then turned out to be good. ;-)

So this really had to be done & would likely be done much sooner in another project - but at least we can celebrate the 10th modRana aniversary with a bang! :-)

(I started working on modRana for my bachelors thesis at the end of Janury 2010.)

Hopefully this change will make the source code of modRana much more readable, fully Python 3 compatible & more unit-testable. Also potentiall contributors will be much less likely to run away screaming when they no longer see modules full of Python 2/3 compatible code mixed together with direct drawing of screen content via Cairo vector commands. ;-)

One request i would have would be to get the last version into extra-devel if possible.
I think we spoke in the past about updates and that less devs have a build environment available but at least N900's would have a more upto date version in the repo if this was done.
I have actually created a N900 specific branch in case some fixes would be needed after Python 2 & GTK2 support has been dropped from the master branch:

https://github.com/M4rtinK/modrana/tree/n900-branch

That could be a good starting point for such an update effort. Still, I'm not sure I will still be able to generate the needed source-deb file, not to mention being able to talk to autobuilder in the correct manner.

Assistance of someone who still has the necessary tools available would be definitely welcome.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: